or Connect

Posts by EllasMama

Yes, the full impact of having a spirited child has been huge on our marriage. I do miss things being the way they were, but not in the same way my husband does. I think, "things were easier then, we were closer, but now was a child and it's normal for life to change and be more difficult." As far as I can tell, my husband thinks, "If she'd just have sex with me I could overlook the fact that we don't get along so well." Seriously though, DH seems to have a much harder...
Exercise is supposed to be one of the very best things for depression, so definitely do that. Can you find a prenatal yoga class? I took one and found it really comforting as well as good exercise and preparation for labor. Walking is also great. I'm not sure how much is safe during pregnancy, but B vitamins (something with several B's including B-6 and B-12) can be stepped up to help you feel better. You might ask your care provider about that, maybe some flax seed...
I understand what you mean. I think a larger problem than PPD for us has just been becoming parents. My husband loves my daughter so much, and is pro-AP, but there is an undercurrent that pops up here and there of him wanting me to pay more attention to him or do more just with him. Maybe his desires are more appropriate than I think, but I often feel like he doesn't "get it" -- we are parents now and that means that things are just different. It is hard work being a...
coriy, that sounds really interesting. It made me think of another book I read called "Mother Nurture." It's a great book that deals with a "syndrome" it refers to as "depletion" -- depletion can occur from some of the usual byproducts of AP mothering like extended breastfeeding while possibly getting an inadequate diet, and sleep-deprivation. She suggests therapies such as upping certain vitamins. I'm not doing the book justice, but it is a really great, nurturing...
I don't know about studies regarding Lexapro and breastmilk. I went to their website (www.lexapro.com) and I found a couple things regarding breastfeeding. Click on "Prescribing Information" link on the left hand side of the homepage and you'll be taken to a long .pdf document. There is a section about half-way through called "Nursing Mothers" that includes information about two cases where adverse effect were reported. There was also the following statement earlier in...
Hi Mel. I understand your worries about breastfeeding and meds. Many meds are reportedly safe while breastfeeding...and you have to remember that when mainstream U.S. says "while breastfeeding," what they really mean is "while breastfeeding a tiny baby." Only weirdos like those mamas who read Mothering magazine would breastfeed longer than a few months! : I would suggest doing some research (this PPD board has lots of info) about breastfeeding and anti-depressants. ...
Hi Lori. Reading your post, I could feel your struggle and pain. I'm sorry it's a rough time. PPD sucks. I feel like I understand, at least partially, what you are going through. When I realized "something was wrong" with me, I went on a quest to try to get better. I started with therapy, being more assertive in certain situations, getting more breaks, pursuing more of my own interests, etc. etc. But right around the time I started my journey, my husband also...
gemgirl514, life as you knew it *IS* over. But that doesn't have to be a negative thing! Having a young baby is all-consuming. The good news is that as time goes on, those all-encompassing, must-be-met-immediately needs diminish. It will take some time, but sooner than you know you will be regaining some of the "freedoms" of your past life. And in the process you will gain a lot that you never expected to. I used to go to bars or movies with friends; now I have new...
I agree with gilnikche and feel that before things get worse and winter isolates your friend further, you should help her to get some help. She is possibly so low that she has no desire to do this for herself. You may have to be pushy and you may have to inconvenience yourself for a while in getting together with her, but it would be a wonderful gift to give your friend and her baby. BTW, the things you mentioned offering like watching the baby while she gets a bath are...
Quote: Originally posted by G-Dawg Lately I have been thinking that millons of women have babies, why is this so hard for me? G-Dawg, I have asked myself the same question so many times. The answer is that there is no answer, given our current knowledge about depression and motherhood. Just as we aren't exactly sure why some people are predisposed to diabetes or heart disease regardless of lifestyle, we don't know why some people are predisposed...