or Connect

Posts by mamaMAMAma

Wow! Thanks!! I'm excited and a bit overwhelmed!! Where is a good place to start?
DD#1 (almost 10) loves food and I would like to do some work with her on nutrition and different kinds of food. She also enjoys writing and we discussed what a food critic do... I'm not a foodie myself. I'm looking for suggestions on how to support her passion for food. Maybe books written by food critics suitable for her age, books on nutrition, (we already have some kids cookbooks), books that help with experimenting,... Ideas? I'd like to create a fun unit study...
I've read some stuff that says there is a strong correlation between weight and menarche. In my case, I was overweight and my menarche started when I was 10-1/2. My younger sister was 14 and she was skinny. My youngest sister started before she turned 10. She was overweight as well. I'm curious what others think about this. It rings to me. DD#1 is almost 10 and developing a little. We've been reading books and talking about the changes. I was talking to a...
Thanks, everyone. I knew you gals can help.
Does anyone have recommendations for books that explain how things work? DD#1 is almost 10 and all of a sudden is really interested in learning how things work (mainly the telephone right now). I would think there is probably a series of books dealing with this topic. Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by greenmama I really think unschooling works better once they have some real basics down so that they have the skills to research their interests and deeply pursue the things that cross their path. That makes sense to me... Your daughter sounds a lot like mine. DD#1 has always been an avid reader. This year, (she's turning 10 next month), there is a definite shift. She is asking me to get her books on certain...
Breathless wonder: I'm actually going the other direction (from more structured mom-led to child-led). I'm curious why people are going from unschooling to more structured approach. How old are your kids? I think just as homeschooling can take on many forms, unschooling is just as varied and individualized to the family. I think that's the beauty of homeschooling.
The book looks great! Our library doesn't have it so I just ordered it. Thanks!
I'm venturing out of my comfort zone to go for a very relaxed child-led unit studies approach. We've been homeschooling for 4 years and dd#1 is almost 10. We've used a waldorf-inspired/Enki curriculum + a little bit of this and that thus far. We just returned from our annual homeschool (mostly unschoolers) conference and I'm inspired to try something new. DD#1 loves to read and has made a few suggestions as to what she would like to learn. We got some books for her...
I don't get the memorizing either.. and I was shocked when dd10 (almost 10 years old) wants to memorize the states and capitals. I still remember how stressed I was about all the memorization. But, listen to the child right? We went to the library and the librarian was very helpful. So we got some books on Washington and Clara Barton. Now I just have to figure out how to tie this into language arts and math...