or Connect

Posts by 4evermom

Sounds a bit like my son... When he was 8 1/2, he had to take a standardized test to comply with our state's homeschool law. I knew he had a bunch of site words but that was it. He really surprised me in that he did know more than he was letting on. He just didn't like guessing or demonstrating anything he wasn't positive about. He is now 12 1/2 yo but still has never read a book. He reads fine but he reads for information. He reads things online. He reads directions for...
I remember my dad telling me that if I was ever in a bar that seemed shady, to be sure to order beer in a bottle (rather than whatever was on tap) and make sure it was opened on the counter while I was watching so I could be sure nothing was slipped into my drink...   I've told my son that he should be somewhere safe with people he trusts if he is trying alcohol or anything.   And I've told him only yes means yes. I lived through the "no means no" era and it wasn't...
I *still* haven't risked taking my 12 yo to any sort of live performance. He hardly even likes to watch movies without doing something else at the same time. He's just not into anything that isn't interactive. He doesn't want to be entertained. He wants to be involved.   When he was younger (5-8ish), short nature hikes went well if we went with friends. But he didn't want to walk anywhere else. Now, we do daily family walks (about 2 miles) around the neighborhood when...
Our experience with the CAT (Survey) was similar to SweetSilver's. Didn't have to do it until 3rd grade/age 8. It wasn't a big deal though ds didn't want to do it. We just picked our moments and did a little piece at a time over the course of a week. I tried to give him a quick review of some things that would be on it that I knew he didn't know, like when to capitalize. I explained for grammar that he should pick the words that sounded right. I explained the test taking...
Despite being an advocate of self motivated learning and having high regard for the ability to learn without school or programs, I am not comfortable with someone selling their services as a midwife without some sort of certification.
No need for confusion. The Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program eligibility is strictly determined by income and family size. A family of 4 is eligible with a gross monthly income of $3,141 or less. That's an annual income of $37,692. The closer a family is to the eligibility cut-off, the less they get. The two families that posted that they are on SNAP are getting less than half the maximum benefits for their family size because their income is in the higher range....
This might not be quite what you are asking for, but I read it recently and it popped into mind. It's an article that recommends that kids learn math concepts first instead of doing arithmetic drills and memorizing math facts.   http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/03/5-year-olds-can-learn-calculus/284124/
That's part of why I didn't push things with my son... He didn't necessarily have constipation but he was already on an every other day or every third day schedule (and had been even when exclusively breastfed.) So if he had to go, and asked me for a diaper, I sure didn't want to deny him one when it would mean he'd decide he didn't have to go after all. An apple a day helped a lot but he wasn't always willing (he really didn't like fruit much.) Many people find that...
My son was the same way and not at all developmentally delayed or having any special needs. There really is a wide range of normal. You need to go with your mama instincts with this kind of thing... It's good to contemplate the possibility of special needs. Understanding when your child has them can really help you find resources to help you help him. And it helps others be more understanding. But your little boy is only 3 and if he is having normal social interactions and...
It may not be illegal, as such. But past a certain age, people in this society might wonder if it is actually sexual abuse. Making it public that you nurse a 6 year old puts you at risk for CPS involvement.