or Connect

Posts by 4evermom

Yay! 
That's annoying! Though after last year, I'd probably be happy about it myself. I'm hoping for a low-key Christmas, this year... At least our finances are better so the idea of modest gift giving or buying extra gas to visit anyone on top of buying basic food won't make me feel like bursting into tears. Things were really bad last year and all sorts of people decided to visit and dictate how things were going to be (and living with relatives, we don't have veto power.) If...
Not to get further off topic but Roman Catholics have never believed unbaptized babies go to hell. It was Limbo, a completely different thing, and the Church has since reexamined the issue and concluded that not being baptized does not preclude the possibility of going to heaven.
Flight day (some things better for outside) :   Stomp rockets Balloon "rockets" (those skinny balloons you fill with air and let go) Balloons with a piece of drinking straw taped on and string running through (let air release and see how far balloon travels on string) Paper airplanes Paper helicopters (best if you have some place to drop them from) http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/roto-copter.html Those plastic straws with helicopter blades that you...
I thought you were supposed to, but it's always unexpected and awkward. I had the wits (and cash) about me to tip once when I answered the door to find someone had sent flowers to my mother. However, I just turned up stuff on an internet search saying that you shouldn't tip for flower delivery unless an unusual service was performed and that they do get paid minimum wage, at least, unlike waitstaff. So I'll go back to not feeling guilty:-)
Yes. The point of the top sheet is to minimize laundry. Blankets and comforters are bulky and harder to wash. It takes more energy to dry them. Or the newer fuzzy fleece ones sometimes don't wear well with frequent washing even though they are light weight and synthetic so they dry fast. Sleeping sandwiched between sheets means the sheets can be washed regularly and the blankets can be washed seasonally (every few months.) Plus, I like how soft all-cotton sheets feel:-) 
Would he really watch TV all day long if you asked him if he'd like to go to the playground, have a friend over, or go to the zoo? Sometimes kids need to be told what their options are and otherwise they will just watch TV as a default. Part of unschooling/homeschooling is making opportunities available for your child. And young kids don't even know what the possibilities are so they can't ask. I never restricted TV or the computer but I'd invite my son to do things with...
It's very hard to homeschool/unschool without a stay at home parent but it is possible. The problem is child care. School is the main resource for child care for children. And public school is free. If a working parent can find a safe, affordable, and preferably interesting, place for her child to be while she's at work, anything educational can be done on days off. Or if you had a kick-ass job that you could do part time, work from home, or take your child with you. It's...
I don't like the Elf on the Shelf thing at all. I understand how it can be fun to put him in a new spot but that would be too much energy for me... And my son would definitely have found him creepy! He still thinks Santa is creepy.   If the Elf isn't going to add to your dd's enjoyment of Christmas, get rid of it. The point is for her to enjoy the season, not get used to something she finds disturbing. You can do other fun things like rearrange or decorate a dollhouse or...