or Connect

Posts by 4evermom

I think putting the money in the hand (does not require touching their hand) is a U.S. thing and considered common courtesy. I've heard that it is considered more polite/appropriate to put the money on the counter in other countries. It's a nuisance and takes a considerable amount of time to pick up individual coins off the counter. My theory is that it is an equality thing. To place the money in the hand is treating the cashier as an equal. To set it down on the counter...
We try to take a family walk most days when the weather is decent. Doing things together works best for ds. I'm guessing our route is about 2 miles. I measured it once at 1 1/2 miles so we added some blocks. Takes us 40 minutes walking briskly when the weather is nice, but 45 minutes when the weather is warmer and humid. If I have work, dh and ds will go together. My part time job is on my feet and hauling stuff so I feel like I get a good amount of exercise on those days....
I don't let my 12 yo ds watch rated R (adult, ages 18 and up) movies. He has watched PG-13 movies for years but we were more careful of them before he was 10. I don't let him watch a few tv shows I hate that are not intended for children (Family Guy.) I think that is the only thing he really wanted to see that I didn't want him to watch. This was when he was about 9 or 10. We did watch a few episodes together and talked about it with me freely interjecting my values. It's...
  Yes, someone might be disappointed if they are expecting their kids to spontaneously learn programming from playing Minecraft. But there is a lot of other learning that might be taking place. Not that it must be educational to be worthwhile. I remember talking with my son about zoning issues because he was annoyed that his cousin built a big (and ugly by his assessment) house right next to his. Kids might think about city planning issues. My son has opened shops and...
I love this age! When I'm in charge of a little one this age, I generally just follow them around making sure they are safe while they do their thing. Usually they'll empty and fill containers, line things up, pour things, stack and nest things, develop their motor skills (climbing, sliding) etc. Since you aren't able to be super active, you can do things like set up a rice bin with plastic measuring cups. It's a very exploratory age:-)
College isn't everyone's goal. But some people take community college classes starting at 16 and then go on to a 4 year college after that. Some people take the GED. Some people have parent issued diplomas. Some participate in accredited diploma programs. And there are accredited high schools and colleges that don't give grades to their students. Grades aren't the only way for a college to assess a potential student.  
Right, unschooling IS homeschooling. Unschoolers aren't "getting away" with anything. They still fulfill the legal requirements of their state. We're unschooling in Pennsylvania, obeying all the laws, including keeping a portfolio, being evaluated, and taking standardized tests with no trouble. It does help if the parent is observant and able to understand when and what the child is learning. Unschooling parents tend to be very involved and aware of their children's...
The biggest hurdle in homeschooling while working is having a safe place (and hopefully an engaging environment with interactive adults) for your child to be while you work. At the preschool age, a play based daycare or preschool can be an option. But the options dwindle when your child hits age 5. If you have a good place for your child to be while you work, actual homeschooling doesn't take very long and can be done flexibly on weekends or evenings. Now that my child...
I'm pretty sure Brad Pitt and Stephen Spielberg don't get a cut of the vending profit, anyway.
We've had a cricket in our kitchen for at least a week. It's still going strong living indoors! Evidently, they are omnivorous critters. Yours probably found it's way out.