or Connect

Posts by 4evermom

It could be that the unschoolers you have talked to who say that the paperwork isn't a big deal are not doing as comprehensive of a job (which is fine, imo.) Maybe you could ask them to show you what they turn in?   I'm in PA which is also a high paperwork state with testing. The testing has been no big deal (we can use the CAT which is a simple multiple choice.) I usually only have a few pages in my portfolio. But I know others who do an insane amount of work...
I've always really enjoyed playdates or park meet-ups with dads... I know it's partially because I have a son and dads have usually related better with him than moms. And I'm comfortable around men, having grown up with 5 brothers. They seem to be more willing to play actively with the kids whereas the moms would try to get the kids to go off and play with each other so they could sit and chat. While I would have been happy to sit and chat sometimes, the dad dynamic really...
You also might want to search on both yahoo groups and on meetup.com for homeschool groups in your area.
I mostly read (didn't have a tv.) I'm not sure that that is necessarily healthier. It's equally sedentary and doesn't allow any opportunity to interact with others like Minecraft does. It's passive since you are just absorbing another's creation... Personally, I don't think the problem is Minecraft but that kids are being required to go to school all day and do homework in their "free" time. They are just over scheduled. Even if a home schooled kid plays Minecraft for...
Does her own chewing sounds bother her? Noises always seem worse when you are not the one controlling them so maybe it would help having some carrot sticks on her plate so she can out-crunch other people's crunching? Bite a carrot any time she's annoyed? I'm thinking this might desensitize her rather than avoiding the problem by using background noise... Or as an option when background noise isn't available...   When my son was young, he'd start yelling and singing...
I still think of them as a useful yardstick of health... My mom had irregular bleeding which was a symptom of endometrial cancer. My cousin's lack of periods signified some nutritional deficiencies, etc. But, yeah, they could be less messy and without cramps and do the same thing!
ITA. I don't think it's healthy for kids to think Christmas is all about them. And I rarely receive more than one present a year which is kind of lame considering I give gifts to 14 people... If your relatives will take suggestions, you could try asking them to chip in for a museum membership or something. And maybe if you started giving family gifts or couples gifts, they might follow suit. Though I wouldn't hold my breath because people just really like an excuse to buy...
I know some people really like getting donations in their name because they can use it in their deductions at tax time. But I kinda feel like people should just make donations in their own names and not claim it to be a gift unless they really know the "recipient" would appreciate it. Nothing wrong with just not giving people gifts if you don't want to. Sometimes I feel people do the "donation in your name" as a cop-out because they don't want to give a certain person a...
Does the "Plan Your Trip" part of the San Diego transit authority site give you useful results? http://www.sdmts.com/tripplanner.asp   I'm not familiar with the area but I've used a similar site for my local transit authority...
That is insane! That leaves 6 hours for everything else and I need 9 hours of sleep or my health suffers. Maybe when your girls are older and more self sufficient, leaving them with your SO will be an option, depending on his health? If you can see your way through just working part time for now, juggling working while homeschooling will be easier when the kids are older. Possibly there is a homeschooled teen who could babysit? I started working very part-time (about 25...