or Connect

Posts by 4evermom

He isn't sporty or outdoorsy but I do think he'd like the Perplexus Maze balls:-)   He has an Mp3 player which he hardly uses but he mentioned his headphones weren't working right so I picked him up another set.   It is a tricky age. Still intrigued by certain toys but might not actually use them if gifted with them. But I don't want to rush growing up by discounting the idea of getting toys. The things he'd really like are too expensive, not that he's hoping for them...
That's what I was thinking... drop off some cookies or something for everyone. It would probably make their day. I once had a woman leave me a pot of mums because I had gone out to make sure she was ok during a storm when I noticed her car pulled over out front with a branch on top of it. She was fine fortunately.
You could start doing a lesser amount this year to shake things up a little and start transitioning to whatever you decide. $20, if you can afford it, would save you $55 though you'd still be spending a pretty penny. Or you could send a family token gift, like a box of chocolates. Or something the family could do together like a board game (though I personally hate board games.) My great-aunt used to send special pastries from a place near her which we'd have for breakfast...
Well, now the bulk of the relatives have gone and changed their plans and decided to visit the weekend after Christmas though we'll have one person come on the 23rd, leave on the 24th, and return on the afternoon of the 25th. I think we'll stick to the 12th Day for a celebration because I had put gifts for ds and dh on the back burner and will still need to have the house company ready by the 23rd...
I'd actually think that it had a good prognoses if you haven't been told, rather than thinking she was dying and didn't want to talk about it. Maybe it is something like endometrial cancer (uterus lining) and they feel embarrassed to talk about it in detail because people are weird when it comes to talking about the female reproductive system. Or maybe it was just a little spot of cancer on the skin. My grandfather had one of those on his nose removed, easy peasy.   It's...
My little family is embracing the idea of celebrating on the 12th day of Christmas:-) It's really helping my usual scroogey mood knowing I'll have all that extra time to do all the little things I want to do for my family... And maybe I'll be able to pick up a couple of things at the post Christmas sales!   We'll have guests for the 25th, coming Christmas Eve and leaving early afternoon on Christmas Day. The extra work of cleaning for guests, making beds, plus the rush...
I'd just try a scarf using a very plain yarn. It's ok if it has color variations. But you want a plain texture so you can see what you are doing. So no nubby or fuzzy yarns. Or do a dishcloth (or wash cloth) using cotton. That will be smaller than a scarf and give you the practice of making sure you have the same number of stitches in each row.
It can take a while to recover from being sick, even after there are no symptoms. Post-illness depression and other mood issues are very common according to my M.D. mom... My ds is 12 and an only... That did make many things easier, I know. I didn't have to balance the needs of one sibling against those of the other...
I think crocheting is easier to learn first and once you have that down, knitting is easy to pick up. I learned to crochet as a child and had a gf show me how to knit as an adult. I picked it up immediately but had to ignore how she was holding the yarn and wrapping it around the needle. Evidently there are two styles of knitting, European and Continental. One is more similar to crocheting so I naturally switched to doing it that way instead of how my friend was showing...
Funny anecdote: My husband overheard ds tell his younger cousins, "As much as I hate to admit my mom is right, a little mayo on a sandwich really does make it taste better."