or Connect

Posts by 4evermom

Oh no, I'm sorry    
Does he like Minecraft? Anything cubical or square can be made into a Minecraft themed something. For instance you could make a Minecraft clock. You'd buy a 6 inch square piece of wood at Michaels craft store, paint it like a Minecraft block (many different style blocks to choose from, images available online) or you could print the pattern and glue it on if you can get an image to print the right size. Then, you would drill a 1/4" hole in the middle and put a clock kit on...
What about stretching a new piece of fabric over the whole face and stitching it close to the hairline? You'd have to embroider the features of the face on the new fabric...
For people without dental insurance, there are discount plans you can sign up for through Dentalplans.com. It runs about $150 a year for a family plan which gets you discounts if your dentist takes the plan (check before you sign up.) This might not be cost effective if you have good teeth and just need check-ups. But if you discover you need a root canal and crown, you can sign up before getting the work done and it's active within a day or two.
It is pretty discouraging...A couple years out of college I was earning $10 an hour... 20+ years later, I'm earning the same hourly wage but getting fewer hours and supporting a family. Mostly I try really hard to not think about it or the future. 
My limit for wanting to go out (to take ds on kid oriented things like parkday) is about one activity that lasts a few hours 3 times a week with a day at home in between. That's a really good amount for both of us. Right now, he really only has a once a month activity. He'd like more action but there isn't much nearby for his age that appeals to him. He's 12 and not interested in sports or more structured activities... He gets a fair bit of social time playing online...
In the spring when my ds was 11 years and 9 months, he was 4' 10" and about 125 pounds. He only grew an inch and a half since the previous spring when he was 10 and 9 months. His height has always seemed to be 50%. His weight, obviously, is a much higher percentage and he is definitely chubby. One kid we know who is less than a year older than ds really looks like he is 15. And that just happened in the past year during his 12th year. He's a foot taller than ds, and...
Another option that I've done with my son over the years is help him find ways to get what he wants in other ways than buying them new. Looking at thrift stores, on Craigslist and ebay, etc. I'll look for coupon codes at retailmenot if I am buying new... He knows we can't just buy what we want but he knows I'll help him get what he wants in a way that we can afford if it's possible. I'll put the item on his wishlist if I can't find it cheap somewhere. Not too many...
There is some article or video going around facebook about the atrocities done to animals in order to make Uggs. So you could show your dd that and she probably wouldn't want them anymore. They'll probably go out of fashion fast if it circulates among her friends... Or, at least, your dd will have a good rebuttal if anyone mocks her for wearing knock-offs.   http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/uggs-uggly-reputation-214515845.html
I can see a relative getting overwhelmed at the food allergy issue... Especially if the ramifications of making a mistake are serious. It might work better to ask people to bring their recipe to share rather than give them a list of foods people can't have. Then the host can read the recipe and see whether to put it on the allergen free table or not.   My mom is sounding more interested in a traditional Thanksgiving meal rather than joining my brother's family at a...