or Connect

Posts by 4evermom

Most places like Autozone and Pepboys will check your battery to see if it just needs a good charge or if you need a new battery. It's about the easiest DIY car thing. But the battery is heavy so not the funnest thing to haul on a bus with kids in tow, especially if the store isn't close to a bus stop.. If you feel hesitant at the idea of taking the battery out of your van yourself, maybe you know someone that wouldn't mind doing it/showing you how. And usually you get a...
It's like the kids with oral sensitivities/food thing. If saying no to your child doesn't trigger some kind of power struggle issue, and you don't overuse it in the first place, it's no big deal. It's just a word. But it is pretty incredible how often young children seem to be told no and good to not use it thoughtlessly.
Gotchya. I don't know why I misunderstood you. Probably from reading posts piecemeal...   I really don't like most of the unschooling boards, either. I've had people be horrified that I put vegetables in baked goods and declare it sneaky, manipulative, and wrong. Whatever. I'm not trying to pull one over on ds. I'm just trying to serve him vegetables in a way he can palate. He knows the brownies have kale and black beans in them. 
Yeah, we learn how to parent a certain kind of way because we have a certain kind of kid. And then we are horrified when we hear of people making their kids eat what's being served or nothing. Because we think of how our kids would react to that. But the people who have kids that like everything? Those kids might be completely unphased by the experience. So those parents think I'm nuts, that I'm catering to my PIA kid making him be that way. The whole not saying no thing?...
Honestly, I don't think it is very RU to follow a philosophy, even an RU one.    I do think people get hung up on doing it the "right" way and that can cause problems because they aren't listening to the little voices in their heads. I don't really believe in looking to others for how my family should work. Families are just too different... 
No. RU would never bribe, coerce or threaten. What someone said about doing chores "joyfully" and hoping/expecting kids will learn from example is more like it. And that is a good point that making chores out to be dreadful things could make kids more resistant to helping. Although there are some things I don't like doing, there are some people who love doing the same thing. So what gets defined as a chore is pretty personal and there is no point in categorizing things as...
Sure. I think the only real issue is getting into a serious power struggle. If you are sensitive about it (ease up if he really protests, notice if he is more sensitive/picky at certain times like when he is tired or sick) and keep it respectful, there's nothing wrong with encouraging kids to eat vegetables and guiding them about nutrition. Kids usually respond better when they've been given good reasons rather than just told "because I say so." The whole "this is what I...
Yay! 
That's annoying! Though after last year, I'd probably be happy about it myself. I'm hoping for a low-key Christmas, this year... At least our finances are better so the idea of modest gift giving or buying extra gas to visit anyone on top of buying basic food won't make me feel like bursting into tears. Things were really bad last year and all sorts of people decided to visit and dictate how things were going to be (and living with relatives, we don't have veto power.) If...
Not to get further off topic but Roman Catholics have never believed unbaptized babies go to hell. It was Limbo, a completely different thing, and the Church has since reexamined the issue and concluded that not being baptized does not preclude the possibility of going to heaven.