or Connect

Posts by Kiltie Girl

So we are growing sweet potatos again this year. We first tried them two years ago and had planted them next to the cucumbers. We got no sweet potatos, but did get some orange, hard rined, sweet pickles out of it! Guess they crossed somehow? Anyway, this year we planted them far, far apart. The vines are beautiful and growing all over the place and look great. But how do I know when they are ready to harvest? Will they flower at all? Do I just dig around to see...
We did take the skins off this year (for the first time after doing tomatos for about 4 years), but we did it a bit differently. We threw the tomatos through DH's food grinder/meat grinder. Then I had picked up this antique-thing that looks like a food grinder/sieve with a crank on top that turns a little plate in the bowl. Put the chopped up toms in that and cranked away. The tomato meats went through the sieve and the skins and seeds stayed out. Then as you cooked...
DH and I were discussing doing this this year. We would like to do some tomatos, lettuce, peas, herbs, beans and a few others under grow lights. But I have a few questions....what do we do about flowering plants? I assume we will need to hand pollinate them?
Can anyone share their lemonaide concentrate recipes? That sounds devine!! I'm just starting into the canning/freezing/preserving season here. I've done up 13 quarts of broccoli for the freezer and a quart or two of corn and beans. Kind of doing them as they are ready. I've got 10 gallons of saurkrat going with 15 more heads ready to be picked in the next week. Cukes are just starting to come in, so I'm going to start pickling those up this week. My toms are big...
Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by kjbrown92 With DD1's dust mite allergy, we changed her room a bit (washable in hot water bedding, mattress/pillow protectors, washable roman shades instead of dusty drapes, no stuffed animals in the room, closet door closed, only vacuum when she's not at home [vacuum cleaner is allergy friendly]) and she rarely needs the Zyrtec now. She still has carpet in her room, which will eventually be exchanged for hardwood flooring. She...
I just had my allergies done (my kids all have major food allergies and I'd never been tested). Anyhow, it turns out that I'm allergic to just about everything there is outside, and then cats/dogs and dust mites. The only food allergy that showed up is corn. My doctor hasn't come out and said that he wants me on allergy shots, and he is open to alternatives, but he did give me all the literature on it. I'm looking for alternatives to that route. We do use...
Quote: Originally Posted by anewmama Here are some links as I am thinking of the same and have never kept bees. I have always wanted to. http://www.backyardhive.com/Caring_F..._Top_Bar_Hive/ I'm really enjoying this site. We've been talking to some local people who do bees and getting an idea of what we need to do. It looks like DH will be building a hive similar to the one in the above link and we'll be ordering a colony this fall. We're...
Dh and I are contemplating getting a hive. Can I get some insight and tips on that? Where to order? What to order? How to get set-up? Tips and tricks? Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by crittersmom Today we went to a Scottish festival and the two younger ones did thier own versions of a highland dance.Very funny,DD dances like she is listening to the Greatful Dead and DS #4 tries to break dance so that got thrown in too. How fun! I teach Scottish Dance and my oldest is going to start lessons with me this summer. Or at least more focused lessonsl; we've been doing the moves with her since she was a...