or Connect

Posts by lanieree

Mine isn't either, actually. He is open to it, and definitely game for doing it at some point, but he isn't ready to commit to the idea. I'm trying to convince him that he will have 3+ years to get excited- if we wait until we are ready to HAVE the child, it will still be 3 years from that point before we bring her home! And 5 or 6 years just is too long a wait for me!   Ha, I'm not going to force it, but I hope that my enthusiasm will rub off on him. He is way more open...
I would really appreciate that. Thank you so much.   I know what you mean about your list growing- mine is already evolving, just from the past few days. At first I was thinking only correctable special needs. But today I saw a sweet little boy who was deaf- and realized that I speak sign language (some, not fluently). And the other day I saw a man who was missing a few fingers. Which, how would that matter? And a coworker of mine a few years ago has epilepsy. She is a...
Congratulations on finding your girl!! That is so exciting, I hope everything goes smoothly and quickly, and you can get her home soon!   We are deploying next summer (for 4 years), so doing a homestudy before then might mean redoing it once we deploy. Even if we found a child quickly, any delays could throw a wrench in it when we move. And right now the age group we are looking for (born after June 2012) is still 0-18 months, which is pretty in demand. Once we move...
I found an agency that is experienced working with deployed military families adopting while abroad (which we will be for 4 years starting next year!), and they gave me a timeline! For them it's $4k due when you sign up, $8k due a few months later (covers homestudy, paperwork, translations, everything until the referral), most of the remainder due when you accept a referral, and then one last payment when you get back to the States, which covers court fees to legalize the...
We are hoping to adopt in the next 2-4 years, through international adoption. We have spoken with an agency, and will be signing up within the next 12 months!! I put a LOT of thought into what kind of adoption fits us best. We are military, with a 4 year deployment coming up in the next year. For us, it is all about the timing. Adoptions take time. Homestudies, background checks, paperwork, being matched with a child. I hear about wonderful, smooth transitions where...
I can't find much of a breakdown out there on the internet. I know if we adopt from Armenia, for example, it will be $35-$45k, but I don't know what is due when! We are feeling really excited to start the process, but we aren't rich, and can't front that whole amount at once. Any ideas of what is generally due when?
Hi, we are new to the process of adopting! We have talked about it for years, as a thing we want to do someday. But now I'm thinking, why wait? Why not have our adopted children mixed in with our biological children, and raise them together? I know there are pros and cons to everything, but I am feeling like this is the right choice for us.   We have an 18 month old, I'm due in May with our second child. We are military, with overseas deployment in the fairly near...