or Connect

Posts by seacatnp

Well I have a 12 and 13 yr old (dd and dsd).  13 yr old has just started 9th grade and 12 yr old just started 7th.     if you have "middle school" in your area - 6,7, 8th - is seems to start in 6th.  if it's a 7 and 8th grade "jr. high" it seems to start in 7th.  either way i was surprised when at the beginning of 6th grade my daughter wanted to start wearing eye shadow.  "EVERYone does it.  i'm the only one who doesn't".     my guidelines are 1) a little well applied...
you could look at a source like this: http://www.moderntribe.com/judaica/gift_ideas/for_baby all depends on how observant they are, how into their religion, or not, they are.  but that link might give you some ideas.  or you could just buy a non-Jewish related gift.  Same as you probably would a Christian friend.
great.  well, I too, sometimes have Jewish Mama things that are not so mainstream.  Good to know I can come here with that!
Hi,   I'm mama to w, ages 13 and 11.
I'm in Boulder.  I had been in Santa Fe, NM before.  Boulder is very white and affluent in comparrison to SF.  But on the good side, it's very ecologically minded, pretty spiritual (or that's available if your'e into it), lots of good food, pretty crunchy (but not as crunchy as SF), attractive, mountains nearby.  I've also lived in Breckenridge - didn't like it.  Too hard core, cold, high altitude (causing health issues for many), and too much partying.  Mountain towns...
yes - i've tried getting her up earlier - but her bed time disorganization just doesn't allow her to get to bed any sooner.  so she might be exhausted, but still won't regulate herself.     The more i think about it today the more i think it's just my lack of follow through that allows it to continue.  I think maybe if i start making her get ready for bed (brush teeth, do contacts, straighten, and get a snack) at 7, or something.  THEN encourage her to play and...
I have an 11 yr old who has never been much of a sleeper.  she's very creative and fairly disorganized.  I, too, am not great at staying on schedules, or being disciplined about them.  we've tried all kinds of things but the problems remain - what tends to happen is several things...   - she drags her feet to do the things that must be done before bed (straighten up her stuff in the living room), brush teeth, contacts out, get bad packed for school in the morning,...
hi guys.  wow!  so many opinions.  i guess i asked for it.  No more needed at this point.     just a very brief response to one person's comments...I was a wild child.  I had free reign over my body and too much freedom can be a problem too.  it was for me.   too much restriction and too little boundaries can both be problematic.  i'm trying to create a real balance for my kids - structure and freedom of expression.     thanks for your opinions, they helped me to...
i hear you meemee,   i'm very open minded.  exhusband is tattooed and pierced and i think it's beautiful.  i don't have any judgment there.  but they are not adults and i think these kinds of alterations are for adults, not 11 and 13 year olds.  maybe even an older teen could think of piercing a second whole in their year - but probably not this young.  but maybe i'm wrong.  would like to hear from more mamas.     and no, neither of them wear any makeup.  my 11...
my daughter just broke her foot at a second day Rosh Hashanah retreat (the Jewish New Year).  What is it with religious outings and broken bones?! ;)     So your daughter's brake sounds worse than mine.  my daughter broke the big bone on the outside of the foot.  she's in a walking boot for 4 weeks.  she went back to school the next day.  yours sounds more serious but if she can get around without your physical help - crutches or not - i'd let her go with her friend....