or Connect

Posts by Prairiemother

You mentioned an elimination diet but I just wondered if you have talked to his doctor about a possible non-dietary allergy or something like that which might be causing him some stress?   It might be a situation where a little time without him, where you could focus on your other two children, could help everyone, especially if he is calm when he is with others.  Alternatively if he is calm when you are out together maybe you could try a preschool or music program...
You're so right it's important to remember what we love about them even when they're acting like little rascals
Lately I've heard that from my 5-year-old son a lot, too but I don't think it means what he says.  I agree with an earlier poster who said that kids that age don't really know how to explain or understand their feelings.  For example, if my son were playing with his sister's toy and she wanted it back he might say 'it's mine' but not mean that he thinks it is his, just that he wants to play with it.  I think my son says he loves daddy because when daddy comes home from...
I'm sorry but I had a little chuckle with your description of the seat buckling marathon because it fits my own newly-five-year-old son so perfectly.  I could totally imagine him in  your van.  Everything distracts my son, is exciting, causes him to forget.  My current approach, instead of leaving it up to him to get distracted and not buckle himself in, is to spend two minutes to focus on him alone, just walking him to the van, guiding him through the whole process...
Wow, that looks lovely!  I'm almost tempted to try :)
I  wonder what it is that causes the injuries - broken plastic?  some carseats have metal bars on the sides, I wonder whether that would make a difference.
So glad to hear things are looking up!     Now that you mention it I remember some difficult times when my eldest was starting to crawl, too.  We slept on a mattress on the floor and periodically through the night she would wake up and try to crawl away. 
I know the feeling of pinched, etc.  My LO likes to pull my hair.  It's like his security blanket.  When he has a bad night he pulls constantly, it feels.  I hope tonight is better for you.  Co-sleeping definitely is much easier for us now that my LO is bit older.  I'd say after about 18 months his sleep patterns evened out more, and there was less of the hair pulling.  When he wakes up, I take him pee and then I lie down, with my back to him.  Anyway, I know co-sleeping...
Poor mama, it will get better.  My second baby was up a LOT at night because of reflux issues.  It wasn't severe enough to warrant medication, but it was like he was in pain a lot at night.  We used the bouncer, like you say, a bit to help keep his head elevated.  Later when I wasn't so sleep-deprived I wished I had tried to put blocks under the head of a bed.  Hope your little one sorts it all out soon. 
I am so sorry this is happening to your son.  It is really important for the bullying to stop and I hope that you get support from the school.  It's their job to make sure students are safe, physically and emotionally!  I know someone who was bullied as a child and it had lasting ramifications for her.  Her school was unwilling to help and she suffered a lot before her parents really understood what was going on and pulled her out of school.  So it is good that you know...