or Connect

Posts by Tapioca

sorry chiromama! lol.
I'm not sure I've BTDT but I was an SAHM for 5 years before going back to work 3 years ago when DD was 4.5.  I found the transition really tough and felt guilty for not being there initially.  While being an SAHM, I worked part time and did some freelance writing for $$$.   Now, I wouldn't be an SAHM again.  For us, financially, it's made a huge difference me being back at work (but, DD is at school so we're only paying for after school care).   For me personally,...
Cut her off until you feel strong enough to deal with her crap, then you let her into your life, but on your terms only.
Don't engage.  I don't know this lecturer but I wonder if he's the type to pick targets, in which case you should just ignore him.  Treat him with civility - as you would any stranger - but don't put any more energy into it than that.  If you are concerned about retaliation make a note of any interactions you have -a written record - just in case.
yes, 18 months is young. 
Ha, I do that too.      to the OP: Your ex-friend sounds like a developing "my child can do no wrong" type and you have done exactly the right thing in avoiding her.  I briefly had a 'friend' like that, I dumped her.  I don't think you need to do anythng more than you've already done - as far as "it takes a village goes" you've already made it very clear her kids' behaviour was unacceptable and she ignored it.  She may or may not get it in the end, but it's out of your...
Yes, I held off the whole Disney thing for as long as possible.  I didn't have a problem with the movies per se, but like you wanted to avoid the mania that goes along with them these days.   When she was about 5 or 6, she got a book of Disney Princess stories from secret santa.  Thanks, Santa! not.  Anyway, inspite of our efforts she became obsessed with teh whole thing.  Acting out different story lines.  Wanting the costumes.  Everything had to be pink, etc. etc....
  Good post.  I agree with a lot of it.   I'm also an introvert and don't have oodles of energy after a day of work.  It's taken a long time but we've more or less figured it out - I was very clear with DH about what my limitations were and vice versa.  Like you, my DH doesn't like screen time, however I'm not bothered by it, so when I'm home it's on and we watch shows together, when he gets home later the tv goes off and he does what he thinks is right - he is much more...
Unfortunately, i think the 'it takes a village' mindset doesn't work so well in our modern world, where there is more emphasis on the individual than the community.     I agree with PP that you need to let go of any expecations of your parents.  My father basically acts like my daughter doesn't exist, but both parents are on the other side of the world so it doesn't really matter.  DH's parents are much more involved, but he comes from a close-knit family.  I'm...
E&A's mom, sounds like you have it worked out.  I'm glad :)