or Connect

Posts by Tapioca

Quote: Originally Posted by Mothra you wouldn't catch me dead at a playgroup if my husband was home. Um, yeah. I'd rather be at the pub. I assumed that we were talking about the daytime without SO's. I can't take my kid to the pubs here, cos it's illegal. Another factor for me is she is an only, and we aren't planning on another, so if she wants kid time, I need to take her somewhere or invite someone else over. Out of curiosity - what...
Quote: Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog It was also believed, as we both recall, that a set-up like a playgroup for kids under 5 would probably result in "overstimulation" and cause the kids to act out with less than their best behavior. Given so many here describe kids who are under five and have to be watched very, very carefully to prevent "bad" behavior...is there a chance that our elders were right? : I mean the common wisdom when I was a kid...
I"m an "intervene where necessary" parent. My babe is 21/2 and she needs much more direct intervention from me at times to help her with appropriate touching, boundaries, not pushing, etc. Before this phase, I was more hands off but it wasn't working so I decided to change it up. But getting in there and playing with the kids? No. I'm the peacemaker, then I bugger off back to the couch, where I keep a wary eye while reading In Touch
Quote: Originally Posted by Destinye I don't think that makes you a snob though just introverted! For me being a snob would mean you thought you were better than the other mothers and looked down on them. I am an introvert too (INFJ) and DD is very extrovert and social, and its not always easy. Well, thanks. I agree. It's not always easy. But I really try to push myself because I don't want DD to ever feel she's not accepted the way she is. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by ohmtaretu Kinda OT Tapioca, but you can drink tea and read while you're daughter's playing in a playgroup? I've never done playgroups, so I don't know anything about them. It never occurred to me that would be possible. I like down time - gosh do I! But honestly I don't know that I could even get downtime that way. I'd be too interested in what my daughter was doing, particularly at 2 1/2. I think I'm what I've heard...
Yeah, I can be antisocial. I wouldn't do what that mama did, though. I have a very social DD. I myself am social-ish, but more on the introverted side. I like my mental space. The result is, when DD and I go to the drop in playgroups, I use the time to read/drink tea/ not have to entertain DD while she plays. I KNOW other mamas have tried to strike up conversations with me while I've been reading, and I've been polite, but I really don't want to talk. I just want...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamakay The "reasearchers" are just psychologists and marketing experts, anyway. They don't even have a clue about the scientific end of the debate, which is the crux of the issue for a lot of us...and those religiously opposed are going to be seen as a brick wall by them, anyway. So they can study us till the cows come home and it really doesn't matter. It's very creepy, but it doesn't actually matter one bit....
I thank this board for turning me off Tylenol, which I'm sure my daughter's liver is grateful for. I thank this board for opening my eyes to the importance of minerals and vitamins to a healthy immune system. I *thought* I could get by on diet alone, but now I see that's not the case. I thank this board for opening my eyes to all the unanswered questions about vaccines. When I first joined MDC, I was a pro-vax sheep. I used to deliberately avoid this board...
YES. I am now taking charge of my own health and my child's, and moving further and further away from western medicine, because of this board.