or Connect

Posts by Tapioca

Are you sure it's a race thing? I get this too. Most people think DD looks like her Dad, however, his parents don't think she looks like him as a child at all.
OP, travelling and living outside the US would probably give you the sense of culture you are looking for. It is there, right in front of you, you just can't see it. I never realised what a Kiwi I was until I left NZ.
Heavenly Being a more moderate person, I think there are good things about homeschooling and good things about public schooling, and trying to claim that one or the other option is 'the best' for 'everyone' is pretty immature imo. As for why I wouldn't...well, the arguments for homeschooling just aren't particularly compelling to me. Maybe it's the kinds of parents who do it or the way the ideology is delivered, but I'm a skeptic. I've also been really put off...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move I'm an American, my Dh is British. We've lived in Ontario and Quebec and currently live in the US. I found there was FAR more racism in Canada than the US. It was more accepted. It really suprised me because, overall, Canada seems like a "nicer" country (socialized health care, you never blow anybody up, etc.) I don't get it. The kind of stuff you are describing would NOT be tolerated at my kids' school,...
I'm in Burnaby too and the possibility of a split class has come up for Grade 1 - DD is the same age as your child. The other half was in a lot of split classes when he grew up - he felt it was overall a positive experience. I haven't heard anything negative to be honest.
Quote: Originally Posted by AnalogWife You know when you have those "3 Biggest Mistakes of My Life" lists....? One of my 3 biggest mistakes was leaving my all-girls hs for public school. Ha ha, I know what you mean. I regret leaving my public all girls' school for a private coed school. Coed school was not a confidence booster, for me anyway. I talked it over last night with DH. I said I really want look into this seriously for dd's high...
Quote: Originally Posted by SoulCakes I know, "good or bad" is a little stark, but I couldn't fit a more subtle title in the space provided. In short, I'm torn between two fabulous schools for my 5yo daughter for next year. They're both amazing academically, and I think she'd do well at either one. But... one's an all-girls school. From people who have been there, done that: what are the pros and cons? I was initially against it, but as I'm...
I guess people are afraid of their children being pulled into a war. This thread reminds me I need to get onto getting DD's birth on the Irish foreign birth register. I really want her to have easy access to Europe the way her Dad and I did (we both have UK nationality through our parents).
This is a very interesting thread for me because we've been told DD will be in a split 1/2 next year at Grade 1. My partner is really positive about it as he was in a lot of split classes as a kid. He feels that kids who are doing ok/more mature get put in split classes. I don't know how true that is. Anyway, his positivity has made me quite excited for DD.
Quote: Originally Posted by Joyster Really reinforces my belief that public funds have no place in religious schools. Not that it's right that she is discriminated in any way, but the fact that public money goes towards discrimination is a real rub. That's my issue too. I have no problem with religions exercizing their beliefs (though it's interesting how "belief" seems to = bigotry) as long as they aren't doing it using my tax dollars....