or Connect

Posts by staceyshoe

I just watched this film and am very intrigued.  I'm considering trying the wood chip method they recommend.  Does anyone here garden with their methods?  What have you done and what results have you had?  Any trouble finding the wood chips they describe (including the green leaves)?  Where did you find your source?   I have a VERY small space--what I affectionately call my "micro-garden."  Plants are strategically placed and are closer than what is usually...
We are about to start consulting orthodontists about my 8y.o. to see what treatment is recommended.  I've noticed that expanders seem to be the "norm" these days.  Something in me doesn't quite trust them.  Thoughts on expanders (or other treatments that they might recommend for us)?
We are a non-vaxing family in the Cincinnati area.  I'd like to expose my children to chicken pox so they will develop natural immunity.  Any ideas about how to find someone who has the chicken pox?   TIA!
We are a non-vaxing family, and I'm considering exposing my children to chicken pox soon so they will have natural immunity.  Do you recommend for or against this?  If against, what are your reasons?   Second question--where on earth would I find someone local with chicken pox?  I'm in the Cincinnati area.   (If I would get more responses posting this on another forum here, please recommend which one!)   TIA!
Thank you both for your replies!  It's really too bad about the naturopath situation.  I have done a Google search, but the only dr I've found who mentions both sex hormones (HRT)--which happens to be one of the links you gave-- and thyroid/adrenal is not taking patients any more and that's not expected to change.  There's another that just talks about HRT, but I know my adrenal and thyroid issues are very interlinked with my other issues.  The BodyLogic.MD sounded good...
I've been reading a lot about High Intensity Interval Training, and it's beneficial metabolic effects.  It really appeals to me because I am very committed to getting in shape again but don't have lots of time to devote to it.  Has anyone tried this?  Does it work?  Any suggestions for someone getting started?  TIA!
I have a very long history of hormonal imbalance (adrenal, thyroid, estrogen/progesterone).  I really need to find a dr who is thoroughly knowledgeable about hormones and will prescribe bioidentical hormones.  How do I find one?  I previously contacted our local compounding pharmacies and got referrals, but it turns out that those drs aren't comfortable prescribing hormones for a woman who is not menopausal.  Any suggestions?  (I'm in Cincinnati if that makes any...
I've found that we need to get different curriculum for each subject because ds's skills are all over the place (at least a 5 year gap in ability level between different school subjects).  We use Singapore Math which I think is fantastic and has as little or as much review/challenge as you could want depending on the options you choose.  The other things I love are Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding and Building Thinking Skills (from Critical Thinking...
I think it's wonderful that you are following your dd's lead.  I dismissed my son's requests to learn to read (because I was afraid of him "getting too far ahead"), and now I realize that my attitude was very destructive.  At 2 yrs 3 months, ds started begging me to teach him to read.  When I didn't respond, he literally spent at least 8 hrs per day asking me to spell various words.  (Basically, it was constant until I finally declared no more spelling for the day--I had...
I've been researching blueberry bushes with the plan to prep my soil (get the PH right) this year and purchase bushes next year.  I'm considering getting 2-5 bushes.  One question I can't seem to find the answer to:  If I get a plant with an earlier harvest and one with a later harvest, will that work for cross-pollination?  Or do I need to get two plants that will be blooming and then producing at the exact (or close) time?