or Connect

Posts by staceyshoe

Ds has multiple severe IgE allergies.  (He can react to trace trace amounts of an ingredient and has an epi-pen for 5 different foods because his allergies are so severe.)  His diagnosed allergies right now are: soy, peanut, tree nut, wheat, milk, egg, and some other legumes.    Away from home, he is allowed single ingredient foods only (ie., a banana or something).  At home, I am very careful what ingredients I use and possible cross-contamination.  I'd like to make...
Our allergist tested ds at 12 months.  He did both the skin prick and RAST (both tests have weaknesses, so this allowed him to compare results).  There were some surprises, but it was accurate.  At 24 months, he got the skin prick again to test for changes.  Wheat didn't show up on the skin prick, but he definitely reacted so the allergist did the RAST for wheat.  His #s were high enough on the RAST that he needs an epi-pen for wheat.  While there are problems with the...
Starfall is fun.  He's getting into Timez Attack which is a free download (impressive graphics and tracks progress!) for learning multiplication.  Another favorite is shepphardsoftware.com.  He is a little bit obsessed with maps, and this website is what triggered that love for geography.  After 3 years, he still absolutely adores anything map-related.
My 5 y.o. is studying Latin.  We alternate lessons between Song School Latin (my 2 year old has memorized the songs!) which is a nice fun introduction.  SSL is conversational Latin.  We alternate SSL with Getting Started with Latin.  I wasn't sure about GSWL because it's black & white--not "fun."  Color and flash is pretty important to ds.  Well, he actually prefers GSWL.  He LOVES the challenge of translations.  Between lessons (we don't do Latin every day), we use...
My ds (age 6) started taking one packet of Threelac per day because I suspect he has some candida issues.  He's had diarrhea for the past week.  I know that the body sometimes has to "flush" out the bad flora.  How long does this process last?
Yes, they are all IgE allergies diagnosed through the skin prick test and RAST.  He is allergic to 6 of the top 8, and needs an epi pen for 4 because they are so severe.  So his immune system is really overactive and sensitive.  I think you are probably right about the mung beans being the trigger, though.  Since he's allergic to soy and peanut, it makes sense that he might be reacting to something closely related.  Should I be careful with other legumes too?
That makes sense.  I'm wondering how closely related they are to his other allergens.  He just had about a tablespoon and had his typical allergic reaction--bellyaches and diarrhea, up most of the night contorting his body, etc.  He reacts the same way to his other allergens--wheat, soy, eggs--which is why I thought it might be triggering one of his known allergies. 
Sorry, I'm in a hurry and didn' read the previous thread, but I wanted to respond.  Ds's major symptom was sleeplessness caused by bellyaches.  The pedi didn't believe there was anything wrong, but ds was diagnosed with severe food allergies and required an epi-pen.  Prior to removing the allergens (most of which he had received through my breastmilk), his sleeplessness was ridiculous.  He didn't nap from about age 5 months.  His longest period of sleep at night was 1.5...
Ds (age 2) has multiple severe food allergies, including wheat, peanut, and a moderate soy allergy.  I fed him "bean threads" as noodles and he has a horrible (though not anaphylaxic) reaction.  Now I'm trying to decide the exact cause.  The only listed ingredients were mung beans and water, and the product was imported from Taiwan.  Here's what I'm trying to figure out:   *Are mung beans too closely related to either soy or peanut?  I Googled and Googled but didn't...
We are realizing there is a family history of celiac disease, and both my boys have had digestive issues from birth (different problems though).  We did genetic testing on them just to see whether celiac is a possibility.  My oldest (5 y.o.) ds tested positive for THE celiac gene and subtype most likely to result in the disorder.  Since he's eating gluten now, we just went in for the blood panel.  His symptoms are not the stereotypical celiac case.   Still waiting on...