or Connect

Posts by Chanley

We had a similar situation at Christmas. The younger one is just generous to a fault, with all of his Christmas candy from his stocking. He just kept giving and my darling oldest one kept taking and asking all the while hoarding her own. So then, the stocking is empty. And he comes crying to me that she ate all of his candy. She saw him crying and from the grimace on her face I know she felt bad. I asked him what he thought he should do and he started crying again and...
Ohh and as far as the hitting, my son was more of a hitter than my daughter. I would hold his hands and rub them. Saying something like, 'Wow! You seem really mad at me. Your hands are very very strong and it hurts when you hit. Strong hands are for helping mommy, not hitting mommy." When he would pull back to hit, I would remind him that he was VERY strong. I can only imagine how powerless a child who is hitting must feel.
my favorite way to transition at this age was to pretend to be something. trains work really well at that age. "Hey! Lets be a (train, plane, mama duck & baby duck)! Ohh first you need your new COAT of paint (or duck feathers). Ohh you gotta make the right sounds! Can you make a sound like a (duck, plane, train)." My son loves to be a jet plane, I pick him up and remind him that his arms are wings and he has to sound like a jet. We can't fly if he is not making...
When we get a case of the "I wants" and they are wants I cannot fulfill, I join in. Ex. "I want ice cream" (before breakfast, bad idea, not going to happen on this planet) and it starts...the ice cream thing... So I start on my own diatribe of "I wants" "You want ice cream and I want a maid. Yeah! A super cool maid who will come in and clean everything up really fast so we can make big messes and play all day and I never have to work! Ohh I know..a super...
where do you live? kale is a cold weather plant. Usually corn and kale are not hanging out together in my garden. One is gone to seed by the time the other makes her appearance. but I live in a very hot climate. When plants are stressed, they will be prone to bugs. All of the sprays in the world are not going to help.
Because of what they eat. Horses at a lot of weeds, using horse manure may introduce a good number of new weeds to your garden. Composting properly will help. Rabbit manure or worm manure is my preference.
You only ruin the soil if you have a build up of salts. This happens easily if you are using it on potted plants. Over fertilization will damage any plants regardless of what you use. And yes, soil eating children are always a concern
unless you have really alkaline soil, what is wrong with lime? i have seen great raised beds made with concrete blocks. The holes left in the top are great for planting odds and ends. I have also seen them stucco'd for a beautiful effect. you can also use straw bales. they rot every year but you can just work them into your dirt and say the heck with it and re-do them. They are very easy to work with. a few pieces of re-bar will keep them where they need to be. You...
I see it too! We have a local family who has a kid that everyone avoids and nobody wants to hang out with the parents because of the kid. The kid is HORRIBLE. And the parents are both educated and have thought quite a bit about their parenting, so what can you say? I recently left a situation really angry at the kid because the kid is a real PITA. It is my job as a parent to guide my children through situations and help them interact with society. Letting them angrily...
That behavior for my kids usually came before a huge advance in skills. They would do this when 'they' where changing. I think sometimes gaining an ability is kinda scary and they need extra reassurance. Don't worry, in a few years, you will have to ask for snuggle time because he will be too busy to want it.