or Connect

Posts by janasmama

serioso - I like to think of the 'policing' as an effort on my part to help them be successful. Helping them learn and be reminded of the steps that it takes to have normal, everyday tidiness that fits my definition because your son may not be a type A person but for now needs to learn how to live with one. The initial problem is him not getting is stuff put away correctly. The secondary problem is the lying which is what your original post shows concern for. So to...
I'm trying to not have any pet peeves.
Well I think it kind of depends on what is happening in her life or what has already happened. I have had some reoccurring dreams that were scary but there were definitely some clear markers for me that I could use to interpret although one of them took me over 20 years to actually 'get' because I just had to live a little life to get to the point where I was ready to understand it.
There are lots of different types and variations of yoga so I am assuming you are referring to Hatha Yoga where you move through a series of asanas at a decent pace. Most of yoga is going to be balance, core and strength exercises. Some classes have repetitions of warming or chakra opening movements but in general I find it to be a strength class. Pilates is similar to yoga in the ideas of flexibility and strength of the body. Maybe it is the breathing and...
Quote: Originally Posted by provocativa one of my favorite playful techniques is to tell my 4 year old that she lost her manners. look in your pocket for your manners, maybe they're there. oh no, you lost your manners! go look under your pillow for them and come back and ask me when you've found them. I do this too but use the word 'ears'...."Where did you put your listening ears?" Usually they laugh and sometimes dig them outta there pocket...
Well...I think it's not unusual for this to happen. My dd is 6 and does similar things but I'm ready for it and my kids cannot get over on me. A lot of times I don't request things, I ask questions. Like if washing hands after getting home from school is a usual thing, when we walk in the house and have been home for a minute I ask, "J, did you get your hands washed?" Or after they kicked off their shoes I might ask, "Is that where your shoes go?" Pause, wait for...
Lynn, I wait for the bus too! I've never heard it called that before though but I like it, it has been one of my most effective parenting tools with three very different kids. It is a tough age and I like to remember the little idea that as parents, we have to learn to take it one more time than they can dish it out. And then we have done it!! Everything is good until the next 'phase' comes. Because it is just that, a phase....and you know this. As for being firm,...
Before I even read the first comment I was thinking. "too many words," aslo! I agree that it needs to be more direct OR you can find a way to stop for a minute and make it fun. Put your hands on him.... Have him jump into your arms to get off the bed. Grab his feet in a playful way and drag him to you giving him some kisses along the way. Does he want to help get the pj's on baby brother?? Does he have any jobs to do like clearing off the table; picking clothes out for...
I'm picturing your DD telling her teacher about something she wants and the teacher saying (without even thinking about her response or the consequence of it), "Yes, your parents *should* buy you that doll." Have you talked to the teacher about it to see if she has any information? I think communication is the best tool in figuring out what to do. After that I would consider how long the problem has been going on. Is this the first time in a long time she has said...
eeek...that's tough. If that was the only option for living I would adapt. I would hope to find something better though as it would certainly make for some sucky situations because you couldn't leave the kids out there sleeping.