or Connect

Posts by lisawm

I checked out a book from our library last summer, and now, for the life of me, I can't remember title or author. It was about this issue, and what I loved about it is that it was totally non-threatening  - the focus is really about respecting your body and what feels ok and what does not feel ok. It explained that there may be situations in which you do not feel comfortable, and it's ok to say, no, and if pushed, to say "It's my body!" The examples were a variety of...
My almost-7 year old DS still wets at night. We use the Goodnights-type pull-up (or generic brand), but they do leak sometimes. We also use a mattress-protector like this one: http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalo...tegoryId=85243. The difference is you don't have to remove all of the sheets if they get wet at night and you don't have quite as much laundry to do. I put this on top of the type of mattress protector that covers the entire bed so the mattress is protected from...
My son has always been emotional and has outbursts (usually crying, but also anger, throwing things, hitting, etc.), but after DD was born a couple years ago, when he was almost 4, it got really bad. My therapist suggested something that REALLY helped, like it worked every single time I have used it: she said that when he seemed like he was going over the edge, or even when he was in the middle of it, give him something to push on. She said that it's been proven that using...
Just1More - thanks so much for you thoughts & experiences. A lot of what you described is similar to how my kids are reacting. And you're right, it changes as they grow older. Although DS has been experiencing this his whole life, back & forth (DH probably goes away 2-3 times a year)...each time there are some similarities but also differences as he ages to how he reacts. So I need to adjust how we deal with those emotions as well. One of the biggest things he does is...
I think this is a pretty normal age for kids to become aware and talk about skin color. He may not be saying it as a negative to the color he is (or his father is) but more as an identification with you as his mama. My suggestion would be to ask him more questions about why and what that means to him, to see if it is because he thinks being brown is a negative (and possibly where it came from), or if he's just wanting to identify more w/ you. I am white, my husband...
Thanks for some good ideas. We do try to call/skype often, although with the time difference and DH's long working hours it can sometimes be difficult. The interesting thing is that DS often doesn't want to talk to DH when he calls. I think it may be because it makes him sad, although I'm not sure. A family member recently set up a blog for us, so I like the idea of interacting that way as well. We also often to do not know how long DH will be gone, so that uncertainty...
DH has a job where he often travels away from home for extended periods of time - up to 3 months at a time. He'll be home for weeks to months in between. He has been doing this since DS, who is about to turn 6, was born. DD is now a little over 2. I've always noticed a big change in behavior w/ DS when his father leaves. He's more defiant and emotional. Obviously this is normal and understandable behavior. I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this situation and...
Quote: Originally Posted by kjbrown92 Corn and egg seem to be big eczema triggers (as well as the dairy and gluten). Both corn & egg came out very low or nil on his food panel. Is it possible to react to things that didn't show up on a blood test? Quote: Originally Posted by kjbrown92 What is he off of right now, just gluten? Or gluten and dairy? He's off gluten & dairy. I don't give him much soy - we did soy free...
I did do some extensive journaling about a year ago, but didn't find anything in particular that was causing flare-ups that I could tell. He was eating at his preschool at the time, so I always wondered if something was finding it's way in, which is possible, but the cook was very cooperative and diligent about checking everything, so I don't think so. And, the times that have been in complete control of his diet didn't change much, either. I'm not sure what rotation...
Quote: Originally Posted by LBMarie9 and that's what i figured---removing things would help the exzema---not covering things up. also i didn't really want to cover up things until I for sure thought I knew all his allergens and triggers and we are not there right now. DS former Ped (we now see a naturopath) also recommended daily Zyrtec to help with eczema/possible food allergies. Of course he did not know if it was a food allergy, but that's...