or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by athansor

Hi all! I haven't been here on MDC much lately (kind of miss some of the old politics and news sections), and I'll probably be online even less in the next couple of months. Things have been pretty crazy here...we just spent our semester break moving into a new building and I'm teaching a ton of classes right now (5!). My DH is working for the department as a temp right now as well, and he's submitted an application for the full time position they are trying to fill....
Quote: Originally Posted by jazzharmony Interesting. My limited understanding is that D2 is just not as easily absorbed as D3 but one can just double up on D2 and be ok. That's what I have been doing. That's what I do too, although I've only recently started taking any D at all, after moving to Montana.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluegoat God forbid our teenage years should define us! Yes, I wore a few doozies too as a young person. To some extent I think many young people really have trouble seeing what kind of clothing fits in best in various situations. I remember a number of times choosing outfits that turned out to be more revealing than I really wanted, or not being able to put together an outfit that seemed to make sense, or getting clothes...
Hi and welcome! There are lots of great cookbooks out there, like Veganomicon. Another one I like is Deborah Madisons Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. There's a lot of good information in there. Websites like vegweb are also great, and I love www.supercook.com (it's not a specifically vegetarian or vegan website, but you list the things you want to use and it finds you a recipe that uses them...you can also exclude meat, dairy and/or eggs from the recipes it returns). As a...
Has anyone here have/had swine flu? I'm recovering from strep throat and thought I was just about better, then yesterday I started showing the signs of swine flu (high fever, muscle aches, cough, chills, nausea). So I had the test for swine flu, but won't know until Tuesday or Wednesday. They told me I'd likely feel better by then, but I figured it's important to know one way or another. I teach at a college, so I think if I did get something, I picked it up...
Quote: Originally Posted by carmel23 I think that it is the duty for all Catholics to find out what the church teaches and if you disagree, read and read and think and think and talk to other Catholics about it. You can't just say, well, I disagree and leave it at that. People have the ability to think, and faith is built on reason. Faith begins where reason ends... Excellent advice!
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluegoat There was in fact opposition to the Spanish Inquisition within Rome and the papacy - it was not popular. It was a Spanish nationalist policy. Even, or especially, within Catholic nations, there were constant power plays against Rome. The inquisition was a complicated institution, and people tend to talk about it without knowing much about it. I think that no matter how you look at the inquisitions and the...
Quote: Originally Posted by CherryBomb Real quick regarding secular laws and Church teaching, one can't actively support anything forbidden by the Church. But, if it's already legal, we aren't required or expected to change it (thought we aren't forbidden from trying!) So the difference between gay marriage and divorce at the moment is that divorce is already legal. Gay marriage isn't. Plus I'd point out that the Church does not recognize secular...
Quote: Originally Posted by cagnew cherry: "yeah that" ps- the inquisition and crusades were not totally bad things. that's another very misunderstood part of church history. yes, there were abuses, but thats because people are human and humans sin. just because some people do bad things in an organization doesn't mean the whole organization is wrong. I'm not sure how you can defend the inquisition and the crusades. I don't know what good...
Quote: Originally Posted by CherryBomb T It just seems intellectually dishonest and completely illogical. I don't mean that in a hurtful way, I just honestly don't get it. If the Church is wrong about abortion and homosexuality (to name a few of the more contentious issues) then she's a liar and she's not the Church she claims to be, so why would anyone want to be a member? It honestly confuses me! And if we say the Church is wrong on abortion,...
New Posts  All Forums: