or Connect

Posts by rzberrymom

I shared the bed with both my kiddos when the new baby came. I didn't feel right about sending my older DD into another room--I guess I didn't like the idea of what it would do to her bond with the baby if DH, the baby and I were all together and she was somewhere else by herself.   But, we've also done *whatever* it takes to get everyone a good night sleep--when it got too crowded she slept on a little mattress next to our bed, if the baby was having a tough night...
It sounds pretty normal for such a young baby, but one thing you could try is elimination communication. My DD had a terribly hard time drifting off to sleep if she had to pee, and she always had to pee after nursing. So, I used to nurse her *almost* all the way to sleep and then sit her on one of those little Baby Bjorn potties. After she peed, she was able to lie down with me and drift off to sleep. Thought it might be worth a try! There's a great book called Diaper...
My 6 year old often has trouble falling asleep by herself if things aren't just right.   - She likes falling asleep in the room next to the living room so that she can hear us, even though it isn't her room and she won't spend the whole night there--I take her to the bathroom before I go to bed, so I just move her into her bedroom at that point.   - Sometimes she likes listening to classical music while she falls asleep. We picked out the songs together and I can...
With both my kiddos, 14 months was the ABSOLUTE worst of it in terms of nighttime stuff--they both had terrible terrible separation anxiety, the worst of the teeth were coming in at that time, etc. These are dark days mama, but it will get better! (Yeesh, I'm getting shivers just thinking about how badly my kids slept at that age!)   I waited to nightwean both of my kids until their molars came in, since they slept so much more peacefully once they were over that...
I EC'd my DD from 4 weeks old, but then she went on strike against the BB potty and the toilet at about 7 months. Every month or so, I keep trying to introduce the potty again, but she cries and screams when I put her on it and so I've been patient about it. I've also tried holding her over a sink and sitting behind her on the toilet, but she refuses to go there too and screams.   The EC did work--as soon as she could crawl and walk, she would always come to me as...
It depends tremendously on the age, but my kiddo loves No Thanks (math), Qwirkle (sets, strategy), Carcassonne (spatial reasoning), Coloretto (math), Skippity (another great one by the Qwirkle lady), gin rummy, chess. Boardgamegeek.com is a GREAT resource, and there are all kinds of threads on the best games for each age group.
I've never seen board games at a library, and I think the main point is how the computers distract from the books themselves, rather than some across the board condemnation of computer games.   But, even if board games were lying about there, they'd likely be less of a draw than a screen--there's something very powerful and addictive about things with a screen. The draw is just too powerful for books to compete.   Children spend more time looking at screens that doing...
I SOOOO hear you! Where we used to live, the computers were RIGHT in the middle of the kid's section and all the kids headed straight for them when they came in. It was the same as at your library--you almost *never* saw kids with books. I made a stink about it with the staff, and all I got was info about all the focus groups that had asked for computers computers computers. Sadly, we ended up avoiding the library--because we never did any actual reading there. Either DH...
Under the Sky by Sally Schweizer has lots of Waldorf-y homeschooling ideas. The book is kind of scattered, but the ideas are just wonderful.
Quote: Originally Posted by TSomm If her needs are to sleep alone, then I shouldn't feel guilty over it. That need may change as she gets older and more aware. And part of AP seems to be about responding to those changes. And then it will change again.