or Connect

Posts by sarahmck

Becky, I've got to say a big NO to the idea of you throwing together a meal in early labor.  BAD IDEA!!!  Sure, you might have a really long labor with plenty of time for cooking.  But one thing that won't speed it along will be concentrating on cooking, checking the oven, etc.  And you might have a really fast labor.  And then there will be no food in the house.  This is going to be your day to focus on doing what you need to do to get your baby out and resting.  So my...
Mine arrived in New Hampshire several days ago, but I only got them from my friend just now.  They're all so lovely.  Thank you all so much for taking the time to participate in this exchange and for sending such pretty and thoughtful beads!  Now my only problem is separating the beads from the lovely notes and trying to remember which one belongs to which!
I was just on the GM site reading about these, as I've never tried them and am curious.  She has small and large, but then she writes "One size fits most   7 to 40 pounds".  Which size is she referring to?
Be aware that you can't put accented characters on a birth certificate.  Or at least that's the case in California.  My daughter's name should be Eloïse, but it's officially Eloise because she was born in California and they couldn't handle the special character.  I believe that that was a universal problem, not just one with our particular special character.  I remember that we asked them what all the hispanic people did about their ñ characters and stuff and they just...
I'm glad that the second reading was normal.  I hope it was all a mistake.  But if it wasn't, I have to chime in with the cautious posters on here and say that it's concerning.  I am a die-hard homebirther, OB-distruster, and just general believer that it's always best to stay the hell away from allopathic medical people.  So I totally know where you're coming from.  But if your BP really did go from low to high like you were saying, that would be a big deal.  Please...
1st: 17 hours 2nd: depends where you start counting, long story, but I would say about 5 hours
I did it orally with DD and not at all with DS.  The dose with DD was something tiny, like one drop at birth and one drop a week later and one drop at one month.  I suppose I should re-look into it, to be prepared in case of birth trauma.
I use a tiny touch of California Baby or Weleda baby wash for any cheesy cracks that I think could use a little fragrance to wipe out the smell.  For the most part, though, I don't use anything.  Both my babies got their first bath when they were about two weeks old.
I had an AquaDoula the first time and didn't like it.  The hard sides made it uncomfortable to sit in.  The second time I had a birth pool in a box, which has a little bench inside.  I really liked that.  When I first got in I was in or almost in transition and it gave me at least a 10 minute break and pure bliss.  I just sat on the little bench and leaned back and it was wonderful.  In the AquaDoula it felt more like being in a cage.  Who wants to sit up totally...
The problem is that, for some people, the problem isn't solved by giving birth.  I have some friends who didn't have it too badly who were mostly cured by the birth.  But I have a couple of other friends who have continued to be affected for 2-6 months after the birth.  That's why I think it makes sense to do what you can now not to aggravate it and to help it, if possible.  I'm just not personally sure what one would do to help it because I haven't experienced it...