or Connect

Posts by lexbeach

It does sound really hard. Especially the part about worrying that your kids aren't being well-cared for when you can't be there to watch over them. It seems like a priority should be you and your dp getting on the same page re: discipline and family values. Are you two in counseling together?  I have a blended family, too, and I honestly don't know how anyone does this without the help of an excellent counsellor! We've been in therapy almost since day 1, and it's been a...
It's definitely possible (and relatively simple!) for two moms to nurse a baby, but not necessarily in the way you might think. I am going to respond to this post both as an IBCLC and as a lesbian mom who nursed a baby as his non-gestational mother.  [My response as an IBCLC] Although you are currently lactating, you will find it is quite difficult to significantly increase your milk supply at this point in the lactation process. In fact, if that were your main goal—for...
Boredom breeds genius. Kids rarely think up especially fantastic things to do if they're not first bored. We bring zero toys anywhere with us. Not even in the car (long drives are for looking out the window and "thinking thoughts"). It's gone so well that ultimately we got rid of all the toys even when we're home. For serious. Camping is the most fun of anything, ever. Don't worry! Trust! Lex
I find that thinking of the kids' bedrooms as BEDrooms really makes it feel fine that all that fits in there is their beds. (Anyway we are a minimalist-living family, so there isn't any other furniture I'd want in their rooms even if there was space for more). They only go in their bedroom to sleep or to lie down and read. We have two low-loft beds with mattresses on the floor underneath (so they're like shrunken bunk beds) which sleep four kids, and then a full-size...
I always find that my kids are overjoyed to be given things that we otherwise might not let them use abundantly/ "waste."   - a ball of string/yarn and some scissors - tape! (oh the JOY of tape!) - paperclips - a box of drinking straws - paper cups   My six-year-old loves to use a "cool melt" hot glue gun with found nature materials... He's able to use it carefully and has for a couple of years, but my five-year-old burns herself on it whenever she tries,...
I am curious to know about any sandals you have for your elementary-aged kiddo that you love. I am looking for some for my 10 and 6-year-old sons (sizes 13-5). In the past they have had keens, but I really can't stand them (annoyingly difficult to put on, not at all flexible/light, become very stinky with time), and refuse to buy them again (they are widely available where we live and seem to be what everyone wears). My daughters wear saltwater sandals, and they are...
I had my first singleton when my twins were three years, nine months old (I nursed one of the twins until he was 2.5, and one until I got pregnant, days after their third birthday). I had SO MUCH MILK for my third baby. It was insanity. I had looked forward to long, relaxing nursing sessions with *just one baby* but my singleton rarely (if ever!) nursed for more than 3 minutes at a stretch, every few hours. Nursing was not enjoyable for him, not at all comforting until...
Awww, you guys are so sweet. Thanks for the warm welcome. My life has been insanely full, and I've been trying to keep it off the internet, but I have missed you all and this community very much. My partner and her two daughters (ages 4 and 7) moved in with me (and my four sons: now ages 3, 5, 9 and 9) in January, so, yeah: lots of changes, LOTS of kids!      Lex
We'll be on the Cape for Family Week this year, but I don't know that we'll attend any of the organized events (still thinking about it). My mom has rented a house for us (and my sisters, etc.) in North Truro. But we were just there last weekend, camping. I love camping on the cape. We'll go several times this summer, for weekend trips. Anyway, it would be fun to plan to meet up with MDC families there for Family Week this summer, even if none of us end up being official...
I remember reading this, too (I think the statistic I read was that 80% of babies from frozen sperm were boys), but also remember reading that newer technology has made it more like 50-50 (something about the freezing process?). I have four boys, all conceived with frozen sperm. I figured that our (anonymous) donor simply made boy sperm. But we've found a rather large sampling of his offspring now (maybe 35 kids?), and they are, indeed, 50-50 girls and boys. So, it's...