or Connect

Posts by lexbeach

Quote: Originally Posted by quasar Maybe that's quackery, but for us, the only donor we used two months in a row got us pregnant with DS1, and then the first time we tried for the second child, we used the same donor and got pregnant on the first try. I'm sure a LOT of things went into it, like better timing, good counts, and just the odds factor. But it still works for me. I definitely recommend using the same donor for two tries; I just...
I guess I'll be the voice of dissent, not that it necessarily matters to the OP at this point (congrats on buying sperm!). I think it makes more sense to just go month to month in the beginning rather than buy a few months' worth all at once. I, personally, would not have chosen to use the same donor for more than two unsuccessful cycles in a row; this is one of the few benefits of using anonymous sperm: you can choose a different donor if the first one doesn't work for...
I mostly liked it. Being in the midst of a marital drama myself, I could relate to a lot of the issues and found the film to be affirming and real in many ways. I especially appreciated Jules' speech at the end about how hard marriage is. I thought the sex scene between the two women was done really poorly. I think it would have been possible to convey "bad sex/lack of passion/connection" while still remaining accurate. I mean, under the covers? Seriously? It was all...
We just decided last-minute to head to the cape for a few days this week. I've never been to P-town during family week before, and while the main draw for us really is the ocean, i'm excited about the idea of being surrounded by queer families. Any of you going to be there? Lex
In my experience, wearing two Ergos doesn't work well: too much padding on the shoulders. But one Ergo (or Beco) and one mei tai (mei tai carriers have less padding) works well (still not as well as two mei tais, IMO). The difference between the Ergo and the Beco that is significant in this context is that the Beco has an infant harness inside it that makes it easy to wear your baby on your back right from birth if that is something that otherwise makes you nervous. Lex
Someone gifted us with one: it was awful. Definitely avoid. I had great success wearing my twins in two mei tai carriers (one on front, one on back), which you could do from birth (or soon after if they're super itty bitty). The beco butterfly would be a good option for a back carrier for a newborn if you're uncomfortable doing a back carry with a wee babe. Congrats on your second set! Lex
My seven-year-olds definitely know; I don't think my three-year-old does. So the understanding occurred sometime between the age of 3 and 7. I think it was actually fairly recent. Granted, the kids have always known that they have two moms and about different types of family structures, but the word "gay" has only become relevant in the past couple years (maybe?). On father's day, I was talking to the kids about not having a father, and Lukas (7) asked, "how many gay...
Twin A: 8 lbs. 7 oz at 38 weeks, 2 days Twin B: 6 lbs. 4 oz at 38 weeks, 2 days Ds 3: 10 lbs. 10 oz at 40 weeks, 1 day I think my Twin A would have easily been close to 10 pounds if he'd gone to 40 weeks. I had a c-section due to positioning, in the absence of labor. Twin B didn't grow much (if at all) during the last six weeks of pregnancy, resulting in a 25% difference between the twins at birth. At age 7, my twins weigh exactly the same (despite the fact that...
We have found 16 other families whose children share a donor with ours. The vast majority of the families are queer, but there are a few SMBC; there aren't any heterosexual, married families. We met a couple of the families early on, when our twins were about 1.5 years old. Meeting in person was fine; I think it would be way more interesting now that the kids are old enough to really interact, but we don't have any plans to get together again anytime soon. In general, we...
Our Family bed (a king, a queen, AND a full: all futons on the floor). We exclusively co-slept with our twins until they were two years old. We started with one king-sized mattress (on the floor), and have added to it as our family has grown. Initially, my wife and I each slept with a baby (on our chests), and then once I figured out side-lying nursing (~8 weeks), I slept with one baby on each side of me, rolling back and forth between them all night. Just after their...