or Connect

Posts by DaisyRose

x
I know there is a lot of regional difference, but Nathan and Kate are super popular where we live. As long as you don't mind your Nathan being one of many, or your Kate being KateM or KateT or whatever her last initial will be, then they sound lovely. I try not to be on the "popular" bandwagon when it comes to names. Some of them are just silly and sound much more like "brands" than names. The Myrtles and Elmers of the future.
I'm not sure if this helps, but my little brother was/is a breath holder. Whenever he feels stressed out, he holds his breath. He wasn't shy, so it wasn't something he did when meeting new people, but he hated trying new foods, and would hold his breath if he saw something he didn't like/know. It wasn't like my mom was going to force him to eat it, he just felt stressed by a new food. Last time we were visiting, my brother was getting ready to call someone who had...
My children have no problem understanding that differrent people have different rules. They have tons of friends that don't get to jump on the couch and get screamed at if they bang something wood or scrape a wall. I have a feeling the laid backness of my house is why so many kids prefer to visit us. And there is a world of difference between mess and destruction, and not worrying about furniture. No one is allowed to sit at the table and deliberately mark it up, but if...
In our home, "stuff" takes a backseat to people on almost every occasion. Another post discusses not letting children jump on couches because it "wears the furniture out". I remember threads where people rejected co-sleeping because they didn't want to mess up their bedroom furniture. I actually know a person like this. She refuses to move her big wardrobe out of her bedroom so her kids mattress could fit on the floor. If my kids want to jump on the couch, bang their...
Quote: Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties FWIW, I think the opposite often holds true for fathers with their sons and daughters. I see my dh having that kind of simple, pure, baggage-free love with our dd that I have with ds. It's a wonderful thing. But as many sappy country songs attest, it changes when a little girl becomes a woman. She may still love her daddy very much, but the nature of the relationship changes. I agree with...
Quote: Originally Posted by andreac But wouldn't the same be true of your mother's feelings on the subject?? MY FAMILY's (and by family I mean DH and I and our son) decisions are final on any given subject must be respected by both our respective families. I would find it just as insulting if my mother questioned a decision I made as if my MIL did the same. Absolutely. But I would be more likely to talk to my mother about our...
Good point, andreac. Your son would be the one to call you up and ask for advice. I don't personally know a lot of husband's who have that sort of relationship with their own mothers, but I recognize that the relationship between parents and children in the previous generation was fairly adversarial, and sadly, still is for many families. My dh tried to include his mom in our family when we had our first child, but she was a CIO'ing, spanking, oatmeal at six weeks and...
Power and influence don't seem to be quite the right words. It's not that I think I'll be able to interfere in my daughter's decisions, just that she will be likely to consult me, where I would not expect my DIL to consult me. I would expect her to consult HER mother. Does that make sense?
Susan, I didn't think your tone was disresepctful. It sounds light hearted and as if you and your dh generally don't take each other too seriously. Your DH is not the only uptight person in the world. I take a Continuum Concept approach, too. I trust my children to make decisions for themselves, about their own safety, from birth. We've never had a major injury in our home. In fact, we rarely have any injuries at all, because my girls are very aware of how gravity...