or Connect

Posts by SparklyMoose

I wanted to buy a book for my almost 30 month old son about Thanksgiving. When we eat Thanksgiving dinner, we go to my parents and my MIL's houses, so he does see turkey on the table, but he and I are both vegetarian. Every book I looked at today at the bookstore, if it didn't feature language about the turkey being a huge part of dinner, had it pictured on the table. Any suggestions for age-appropriate books about the holiday, so he can get the idea of it, without...
My son didn't like to be talked to while he was eating. It was fine with him if I talked on the phone, or with other people in the room. If I was talking to him, though, he'd start crabbing until I shut up. Silly boy.
Quote: Originally Posted by spruce Yes, we will encourage our son to wait until marriage. But will you allow/permit/love on the fact that he might be ready for marriage by 17? love, penelope If that's what happens, then I suppose so. However, I haven't known many 17 year olds in my life who were mature enough to make major life decisions like marriage (myself included, and I always considered myself mature for my age). And...
Yes, we will encourage our son to wait until marriage. I don't want him to feel that sex is something to be taken lightly, because I don't feel it is. My husband was my first, though we were not yet married (in fact, I was pregnant when we got married), at age 25. I waited until I was in love and certain that the relationship I was in had a future. That is the minimum I would want for him. To be in a loving, committed relationship. I know he probably will have...
I've got a son, so his bathing suits are trunks-only. However, I wore a bikini as a pre-schooler. I don't think there's anything wrong with a two-piece in and of itself. A two-piece, whether on a baby or on an adult, can be either appropriate or inappropriate, depending on cut. I don't think a baby/toddler belly being exposed by a bathing suit is weird, but I do think that if it's cut in a way that makes it more mature looking, then that could be a problem. It's one...
My almost 15 month old just had his first.
Living in Colorado, constant bathing can REALLY dry you out, even with liberal applications of lotion. As a baby, we were probably bathing him twice a week, and now about once a week. Of course, he gets wiped down a lot more than that--he's walking (read: getting into dirt and rocks) and eating solids (read: he had a spaghetti noodle as a hat the other night), so he's pretty clean most of the time anyway. Oh, and after the spaghetti incident, into the tub he went.
We just went camping with our son for the first time this summer (he's almost 15 months...didn't work out with work schedules last summer! ). We haven't coslept with him since he was about 6 months old, but we did cosleep in the sleeping bags, zipped together with him between us, and we all stayed plenty warm (it gets to be about 30 at night this time of year up there, elevation roughly 8000 feet). In fact, my husband slept in just a teeshirt and boxers, since it was so...
Plenty of water and sunscreen and layers. Those are survival tips for Colorado from sea level. Don't do too much, either. It's hard to recognize altitude sickness coming on before it happens, but then it sucks (at least, from what I've seen--we had people by the score passing out at World Youth Day '93 because they weren't drinking enough water and doing too much. My grandfather's wife also got pretty sick for a couple of days that they were here.). It is SUPER easy...
I've planned for awhile now to teach my son to look for a woman with children if he gets separated from us. The thing I plan on teaching him about talking to strangers is that for children, they shouldn't talk to strangers unless Mom or Dad says it's okay first. He's 14 months old, and so VERY social, that I don't want to scare him off of people. I don't want him to be frightened of everyone he meets, and I think it would be bad for his spirit and who he is to make him...