or Connect

Posts by mamaduck

A couple of thoughts for the next gathering -   1) Do set out the expectations ahead of time. 2) Decide on a reasonable amount of time for your visit (something you think the kids can handle) and talk to the kids ahead of time about how long they have to be on "good behavior" and then leave at the appointed time.  3) Bring games, a movie, electronic devices, or whatever will entertain them.  Check ahead of time to see if their is a bedroom or den where you can...
I don't know if the specific comments are typical, but the inclination to say things that will make mom visible uncomfortable is certainly very typical.   I am "teased" perpetually by my 14 year old son, and the more shocked and unnerved he can make me, the more pleased with himself he seems to be.
Your husband's strategy of doing it for him is not a terrible idea.  The choice is basically, "Do you want to dress yourself, or do you want me to help you with it?"   The message is that its going to happen, one way or another, and there is no use turning into a drama.
I think she'll get into the swing of it after a few weeks. Forming a habit takes some time. Its hard in the beginning though! I do think that you need to set the time and the place, and that it needs to be the same everyday. Breaks between tasks are helpful too. We have always used a timer and given 5 minute breaks after each completed task or sheet. I would ask the teacher exactly how long she expects her first graders to spend on homework each night. I think...
There is something about 9 year olds. Lots of attitude and drama. (Around here its tears and foot stamping over the request to take a shower, etc.) It does help a lot to have set routines. Do the same things the same way everyday. At the same time, it helps to give the kids a say in the routine. When we wrote our routine we asked our 9 yo. what time he would practise his instrument everyday. He said "7:40." So it went onto the routine at 7:40, no questions...
Is there any pattern regarding the types of things that trigger her? What does an average day look like for her?
Working with other people's children, I have included the children in making a construction paper thermometer and marking off different "levels" of noise on the thermometer. "Inside voices" would be like a 3 on a scale of 0-10. During our activities I frequently make comments like, "You are at 7 right now, and I need you at a 3." Eventually, I can just point to the 3. So -- maybe have the kids create a big wall thermometer that you can use as a visual aid. You...
Having worked in 3 different schools, I will say that we were NEVER allowed to disclose the name of the other student in any sort of incident because too often parents will "fight it out" on their own and it can get sour really fast. That said -- the kids will always tell so its kind of a moot point. Eg. -- I had a mom wait at the bus stop and smack/ curse at a child who wasn't her child because of ongoing conflict between the children on the bus.
Put your request for a seat change in writing and CC the principal and the school counselor.
I would probably have asked for a class change long before now. It is late in the year to do that now, but may still be worthwhile. I personally would not phone the parents, because they may be hostile toward you. I would take the issue to an administrator or counselor.