or Connect

Posts by mamaduck

I do like my kids to follow directions and be cooperative, and I encourage that. However, the words to that song give me the creeps, kinda. People shouldn't really "obey right away, all the way, everyday." I think kids need to be taught to think things through carefully and make good choices, to question conventions, and to voice their needs/ suggest compromises. Developing those skills will take them a lot further in life and relationships than learning instant...
Oh, the other thing to look at is whether or not there is a late bus for after school activities. If my son participates in after school activities, then I have to pick him up, which can be a real hassle.
My son started being home alone after school in 6th grade. I was 45 minutes away. He's in 8th grade now, I'm 10 minutes away, and his brother is home with him (9 year old.) He has never been alone for more than 2 hours. Most days its 1 hour. We have many neighbors who are home at that time -- several stay-at-home moms, a retired couple, and some college kids who rent the house next store. We've never had a crisis -- though he has forgotten his key a couple of...
Does she go to school? If so, how has she been at school?
My 13 yo. son likes many of the books mentioned, especially - Orson Scott Card books - The Hunger Games - HG Wells - Michael Crighton - Hitchhikers Guide to the Glaxay - Lord of the Rings - Jack London - Isaac Asimov
It helped my boys at this age to begin thinking and talking in terms of "problems" and how to notice and solve problems. If he can learn how to do this, he won't need to be aggressive because he'll have better tools to work with. Each and every time: 1) Remove him from the situation immediately 2) Give him time to de-escalate 3) When he is relatively calm, help him to verbally define what the problem that upset him ("I was mad when.... because.....") This teaches him...
I think a counselor would caution him that the incidents you describe are "reportable" to DFS. If your child were in school, and told someone that Daddy locked her in a closet, dropped her on the ground, threw a ballin her face, etc... a report *would* be filed. Whether these actions cross "his line" or not -- there are societal lines that he has clearly crossed. A therapist can spell this out to him, and enforce a minimal degree of accountability. That said, it...
Quote: Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer My instinct is to say: "Or nothing. This is not a negotiation. Just do it." This sounds perfect to me.
It is a phase. We used to talk about our kids having "naked chess" time in their bedrooms when they were supposed to be dressing for school. They each learned chess around that age -- and we'd find them immersed in a chess board, stark naked, with clothes strewn around -- while were downstairs waiting! They each grew out of it and were fairly independent about getting ready for school about halfway through first grade. I don't know that I'd dress her, though I did...
Quote: Originally Posted by A&A "that" 9 year old?? Really, mama, did you just call your daughter "that" 9 year old?? Take a look at your own attitude, first. Well, now -- I've had "that" 9 year old twice now, and I know "that" feeling pretty darn well! There are certain ages that trigger each of us more than others, and there are reasons for that worth exploring..... but feeling as though we can't take one more moment of "that child" is a...