or Connect

Posts by mamaduck

Seventh grade is actually a pretty important year -- around here there are decisions to be made about what high school to attend (we have a lot of tech. schools and charter schools) and acceptance is based on 7th grade report cards. In 8th grade they choose their freshman level high school classes. They need to have an understanding of course sequencing and credit requirments. Its helpful if kids do this with some sort of end goal in mind - college, trade school, etc. ...
We got similar shoes at Lands End.
I'm wondering about a local theater group? If she is clamouring for attention, this might be a good way to get it. Or -- if she's not an on-stage type, she could do work as a stage hand.
I like it, actually. There are rules and consequences that are a part of activities and games that children and adults choose to participate in. Part of choosing to participate is choosing to accept those parameters. Its okay for kids to learn this.
I see snotty behavior in a pre-adolescent as a poorly refined way of trying to express little girl feelings in a big girl way. In other words: She's probably feeling sad, angry, jealous or lonely -- but trying really hard to be "cool" about it. Its like her feelings are coming out in a half-strangled, half-mutilated fashion that is nasty and difficult to live with. But underneath the nastiness there are some simple, old-fashioned, little girl feelings. The trick is...
It bothers me a lot when DH does this to me too. We do strive for an approach where we "tag-team" without being judgemental, and have gotten better about it over the years. But I do know exactly what you are talking about -- its not fun to be criticized when you are honestly doing the best you can, and obviously only human. I do think it is important not to call each other out like that in front of the kids. Not so much because of the whole "united front" argument,...
I third the Explosive Child. I would work on a couple of things with her: - Anticipate her triggers and soften your approach in those situations. You probably have a fairly good concept of what is going to upset her (reasonably or unreasonably.) Give lots of transition time, allow her time to "think about" whatever it is that you are going to ask of her. "In 2 minutes I am going to want to talk with you about...." - Keep the tension low. Do your best not to be...
Before you spend the money, I would ask the camp what their policy is on cell phones. Most of the camps my kids have attended would confiscate a cell phone if they saw it out. There is also a reasonably good chance that it could be stolen.
Chiromama, have you had a heart-to-heart with her about this issue? If so, what was her perspective on the problem?
Generally speaking, the school system don't want to spend any more money on special services than it has to. All too often, parents find they have to fight for services they feel their children need. IMO, if he "qualifies," then he probably needs it. As far as setting yourself up -- the school cannot diagnose him as having ADD. They cannot recommend meds. The most they can do is to suggest he talk to your ped. about the possibility.