or Connect

Posts by mamaduck

My kids got a lot easier somewhere between ages 5 and 6. It seems to me that the shift was related to learning to read. I don't know if the cognitive shift that marked "reading readiness" also marked a new ability to problem solve and relate more easily, or if maybe there was a new found satisfaction in gaining greater independence, of if maybe knowing how to read just opened up so many new horizons for them that they became constantly "busy" with constructive...
Well, I think that if you don't feel safe with him in your home, then you should not feel obligated to take him on. If it were me, I would set some very clear expectations (maybe in writing) and tell him in no uncertain terms that if he can't commit to meeting those expectations, then he cannot stay with you. It is critical to set clear boundaries in advance, and to enforce those boundaries, especially with a little girl of your own to look after. I realize that will...
Quote: DS seems to pull this card out when I'm busy with someone or something else in a public place, and even extends it to passer-byers (stupid man, stupid lady, etc.) I think I would work with him on more appropriate/kind ways that he can get your attention when he is feeling left out. He's 3 and half, right? You could try some some sort of conversation about the problem at a calm time when it is not actually occurring, and then follow up in the...
Yes, we have a vegetable garden, a cheap swing set, a tire swing on a tree branch, a sandbox, a picnic table, a small fire pit, an area with stepping stones and some minimal landscaping -- the kids have always enjoyed hopping across the stepping stones. I intentionally put them just far enough apart that he kids have to make a little hop to get from one to the next, and they loop back around so you can keep going and going..... Currently, their favorite backyard activity...
1) Because in order to maintain your own sense of dignity, you must respect the dignity of the people around you, children included. 2) Because your children will learn how to behave toward others from the way you behave toward them. 3) Because their sense of self worth is rooted in your acceptance and unconditional love.
I think in Kindergarten, it is still Mommy or Daddy's job to remember the lunchbox. So I wouldn't make her do without as a consequence. Though, since it is after lunch at this point, I'd probably let it go for today. FYI -- I brought my son his lunch box a handful of times up until 5th grade, after which he hit puberty and stopped forgetting it (food became a higher priority to him!) I kind of figure that if they forgot, and I have time, its a nice thing to do. I...
One of my 5 yo. kindergarten students was giving me a lot of trouble during his time with me this week. Not listening, running around, tackling other students in the group, generally giving me a run for my money. I was trying to be patient, trying to be firm, redirecting, trying not to let on how fed up I was beginning to feel! Then at the end of our time together when I was saying good bye to each child (I was down on one knee talking to another student) he ran up...
It depends on the kid. Our kids are both "bookish" and academically competent. They like school, respect the concept of education, and do not quesiton its value. For us, education has value in and of itself, and not just as a means to an end. They have seen me progress through graduate school and graduate with a Master's Degree in the past year -- and they were both tickled to death and proud as little peacocks (which made me feel wonderful!) We've spent the past 3...
How about a quilt with handprints?
This is a very big deal, imo. You aren't going to fix it easily. He needs a lot of consistency and security -- he needs to feel sure that he isn't going to be shipped off again when things get too tough for you. He also needs some clear and consistant logical consequences for misbehavior. Do you have medicaid, or can you get it? I think some sort of wrap-around family therapy -- a family counselor, a mentor for him, and parenting classes from a team of people who are...