or Connect

Posts by mamaduck

It does sound like there are "big" issues, but I find myself agreeing with Heartmama that this is a normal phase to go through when life gets suddenly "boring." Spring break is usually tough for my kids too, and the first two weeks of summer vacation are always very rough until they fall into a groove/routine. It helps some to have a predictable routine, and activities planned with clear limits. I generally plan 2 things each day to do with the kids (eg -- bake...
A counselor should have referred you to a psychologist in order to have him evaluated. I'm surprised this has not happened. When there are issues from that young of an age, there is usually a diagnosis that could help in terms of finding the right strategies for dealing with him. Possibly even meds. Along with an evaluation, ongoing counseling for Kaleb may or may not be helpful -- it might be a good thing, but you should not expect a whole lot of disclosure from...
Make your own "chewlery?" Check out the craft store to see if they have any beads that look trustworthy and maybe have a more palatable texture? Gum is a good idea. My older son was also very oral at age 5, and even at age 10 I still catch him licking his hands and arms in the wintertime. I think they get dry -- but I have a hard time getting him to use lotion. At 5 -- I just sort of grabbed him and smeared it on him myself. It is only certain times of the...
ThreeBeans -- what the heck are you wowing? Its okay to be shocked, but your post is cryptic. Are you shocked by the infrequency, or by the sense of obligation, or what??? We take our kids annually. Never had any problems. We always get praised on their good teeth. Its nice, fun, but freaking expensive. If they ever develop problems, we'll go more often. But once a year fits my comfort level and our budget, and their dentist has never complained.
I have a low cabinet with "anytime" snacks and cereals, and there are yogurts, fruit, milk and juice in the fridge. The boys can access all of this anytime. They must eat either at the kitchen table or at the coffee table in the family room (there are stools for them there.) They must take care of their own messes. Once a week I "close" the kitchen for an hour so that I can mop. All hell breaks loose. You would think I was starving them! One. Freaking. Hour. One...
Quote: But I do want to clarify because I think some are assuming I just get in his face and yell at him . I was definately not assuming that! Not at all. The way you were handling it is probably fine for many 2 year olds. But if he is consistantly flipping out, then it is not fine for him. He might be an extra sensitive guy -- and his reaction suggests that he needs a different tactic.
My oldest is only 10, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I think its fine to ask her to turn her music off when you are feeling frazzled, but I would take care to phrase it as an "I" statement and express your feelings. Any autocratic "command" is going to put her on edge right now. So choose your battles, kwim? I would try something along the lines of, "Hon -- I'm feeling burnt out and overstimulated. Can you take the music to another room and give me 20...
I agree with abac and also with dena's advice about her twins (which is great advice, btw!) Its good his dad comforts him when he is sad. I comfort my children if they are upset by the way I have spoken to them, even if I feel justified in how I spoke. It does not negate what I have told them. It just reassures them that they are loved, even when they make a mistake. I also think you need to approach this child more gently. Two is very young . 1) You need to be...
Quote: I havent explored food intolerances yet. I dont think that is an issue here tho. It more seems to do with him being unable to calm himself down before he acts on his emotions. Its worth exploring. Its all tied together -- you know how kids act when they are sugared up? Well -- some kids are sensitive to other foods in the same way. I can understand feeling reluctant though, because its a pain in the butt to sort these things out. ...
Wait it out? Meet with friends on neutral territory? This is what we did. Regarding lending -- we were in the exact situation with a buddy who liked to lend things out, but fortunately -- the mom was really understanding of my child's perspective too. We talked to the boys and explained that my ds feels too nervous about lending things. He was surprisingly understanding about my son's "nervousness." I also talked to my son privately, and pointed out that maybe...