or Connect

Posts by Subhuti

No, pookietooth, it's just a "psychodynamic" group.  It's based in modern analysis (freudian) that's been way updated.  It looks to the early years as shaping personality, and examines unconscious patterns from that time that shape us today. It has no content or form really, just examines the interactions and reactions of group members as they happen.  The $hi# really flies in there (excuse my language).  All sorts of things come up.     For example, I realized the...
short answer, yes. I am home with my seven and five year old right now ... And they are constantly interacting with me. They can go for long jags ..say 20 minutes where they are absorbed in art or a project. My oldest will listen to books on tapes on her own for hours. But in between that, they are asking me things, showing me things, needing help. It's all day like that. But we chose to be very hand's on, and to be very responsive. At this age, they can be told...
oh mama ... hope she feels 'better' .... that is so sad.  it'll be great when she's in a place that slows down enough to really give her what she needs and hear her ...
    So glad the testing showed so clearly what is happening with your DD.   In regards to the above quote, we found the exact same thing.  Our daughter, we are told, is grade level.  But when I asked to hear more about how they judge this -- it is a five minute test (my daughter's problems get worse over the course of 20 minutes -- first five minutes are relatively better) AND the reading teacher told me the problems I was seeing (missing endings, skipping small words)...
Actually, in response to this thread, which really got me thinking, I am going to request formally that my daughter be evaluated by special ed. She's in second grade, and has (my guess) a high IQ (I'm guessing 140 plus based on my experience testing adults -- so a very ballpark number, perhaps incorrect).  She reads on grade level but is showing so many disturbing symptoms around reading -- refusal to read, terrible spelling, inability to track in a sentence or a...
Hi All   We met w/the principal for an hour (half an hour at the end was really just chatting about the changes in the district -- our principal loves to chat, I guess).   She really reassured me that, at least in theory, there is a really good procedure in place.  She said there is a zero tolerance for physical violence and likewise with verbal "assaults" and language.  She said they use PBIS to create a positive atmosphere and reward good behavior, but when a...
L, I agree, I added in fish oil and yogurt into my girls diets, made sense, good anyway ...
For our five year old... Monopoly and Mille Bourne. Card games are great for math ...
BTW -- our pediatrician said that the 5-7 year old undergo massive brain/hormonal changes and sometimes their behavior gets funky at that age!!!!!
Our five year old has been having tantrum issues too.  Our situation is a bit different.  She was an easy child -- and the hard lines often necessary for two year olds were never done -- she just never had the terrible twos.  So we knew we'd have to get to it sometime...   I view it as a way to make herself feel strong in our family -- she's got a very dynamic older sister, and she needs to equalize with her.  It is effective -- when she cries, screams and hits...