or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by johub

Quote: Originally Posted by lisalou But isn't part of entertainment getting involved in the story lines? I sat in on a class of stereotypes and mass media. The professor asked students to tell him the first thing that came into his head when he said the word, "Muslim". Students said dark skinned, turbans, terrorists, etc., etc. Then he showed scenes from Aladdin, what did the bad guys look like? The stereotype the students came up with for Muslims. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by alegna I must agree with Periwinkle. Thank you for putting into words what I couldn't manage to Honestly some of the "well I held them while they cried" posts make me uncomfortable too. Sure, once in awhile NOTHING you do will make them happy, but I think that as parents we have to keep trying to comfort our babies in any way we can come up with. -Angela But if you happen to have the misfortune to have a...
First of all the hugest hugs to you! The behavior of my oldest child also has me deeply questioning and challenging my core beliefs on how to raise/discipline children. I still believe in GD. But I think I will be a firmer GD mama with my youngest than with my oldest. My 13 year old is the "exception that proves the rule" I guess. Because treathign her with respect has not earned her respect. She is extremely disrespectful to adults unless they do what she wants....
Quote: Originally Posted by mamasaurus Elise - I hear you! I did not have twins, but I had my DD#1, who co-slept with me until she was 1 years old. I find the term "co-SLEEPING" to be ironic! : There wasn't much "sleeping" going on! She would wake up every 1 - 1.5 hours to nurse, and I was just exhausted and so discouraged. And the NCSS did NOT work for us, either! I finally had to move her to her own room to a crib. I missed the *idea* of...
WEll there are a few things you could try first. At this point you could give it more time, but if your cycles havent returned by this time, you will probably want to set a lmit to how much longer you want to wait. I dont know how often your ds nurses at night, but often just one long stretch of not nursign at night is enough to start ovulating again. So if he nurses all night, if you could manage to reduce his night nursing sessions (but not necessarily nightwean) it...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie Again, then, we will have to agree to disagree. There are plenty of times I've placated my child to avoid a meltdown. I've never smeared my boobs with anythig to discouraged them from not nursing. THAT is what I will freely label as AP--purposely trying to detach your child through deceit and lying, which will further detach your child because you were not honest. And I have no problem calling it as I see it when...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie As far as the assertation that it's better than saying no or dealing with tantrums, I don't buy that. Saying no is part of being a parent sometime. Dealing with meltdowns is in the job description of motherhood. Doing something deliberately sneaky and deceptive just to avoid these things is disrespectful of the child. That which is easy and expedient isn't always right. YOu know I completely agree with...
Quote: Originally Posted by TiredX2 Additionally, the only reason I can come up with (given the OP) that the child stopped nursing was fear. IMO, a child who was simply confused (and didn't mind the taste of vegimite) would continue nursing. Yes but the OP cant be held accountable for your lack of other ideas. IT seems perfectly normal to me that a child expects breastmilk to taste and feel like breastmilk. And even if it suddenly became...
Quote: Originally Posted by TiredX2 But you did claim that it belongs here, on MDC, a place supporting AP choices. I am saying things supporting this style of weaning DO NOT BELONG on an AP board. Unless the OP was lookign for a *different* way to do it. Absolutely. Because where else are people even concerned with nightweaning toddlers? Who else even nurses past 6 months or 1 year? Just because I wouldnt do it doesnt mean I think it is...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie With your last post, I do see your point Joline. I agree that she deserves kudos for nursing at all, let alone for 17 months. I don't find that my being happy with one fact means I can't be unhappy with the other, though, and she did come here, to mothering.com, to brag about it. People are going to have opinions. SUre we all are, But I just hate to see a good mom labeled as "cruel" or causing...
New Posts  All Forums: