or Connect

Posts by johub

Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie You're right, I wasn't. She came here and explained what happened, opening her up to others' opinions. My opinion is that this wasn't respectful of her child. I think she knew people would feel that way, too, and that's why she posted that others wouldn't like it. You seem to think it was fine and dandy. I think it's right up there with telling your child a shot won't hurt at all, or distracting them with a piece...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamajama It's still deceptive and an unhealthy way to communicate with a child because of the dishonest approach. It sets a dangerous precedent for future communication. The end of a nursing relationship is a huge milestone and everybodies feelings need to be respected. It is disrespectful to lie. Agreed. Disrespetful at worst. Sure. Deceptive? Yeah. Horror? Scared? Fear? Cruel? I dont buy those for a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pynki Wouldn'tYOU be afraid if your favorite food was smeared with a blackish/green substance that was too salty and made everything taste wrong and you had no idea as to why Joline? I know I would. RIght. You would. But this woman wasnt trying to nightwean you was she?
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie How would you feel if you were a toddler and something you associated with love and comfort and milkers was suddenly covered in greenish black slime? I think fear and scared and horror just about cover it. Except one thing. You were not there! This mom and this child were. This is an intellegent woman who pretty much described her child's reaction. And I figure she can tell when her child is...
Quote: Originally Posted by TiredX2 How would you explain a child going, in one minute, from an avid nurser to concerned, confused and rejecting the breast? yes confused, perhaps baffled. Sure. But still momentary confusion followed by acceptance is a FAR cry from horror and fear.
Quote: Originally Posted by my~hearts~light Really Jolene? Maybe people in Mexico feel the same way about hot sauce. That makes it ok doesn't it? If their child would eat hot sauce on chips or a taco, and it doesnt actually burn their mouth. Then yes I would say it was the same thing.
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie Why do you suppose the child didn't want to nurse? Because she knew instinctively she wouldn't like the taste of vegemite? Yes, but I dont think fear and horror are the same thing as prefering the taste of pure breastmilk over vegemite. Sorry I just cannot see for the life of me how fear and scared and horror or any of these unjust words play into this.
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie So, was this all about you not feeling bad about saying no? You would rather she reject you than you reject her? Yes I think that there is a LOT to protecting our childrens feelings by not making them feel rejected. If this mom felt it was time to night wean and she felt that it was more harmful to make her child feel rejected than to find nursing distasteful. Then she was choosing what was more gentle...
Quote: Originally Posted by TiredX2 It is not an AP practice.? Quote: I am 100% comfortable saying that. SCARING your child is NOT AP. If she wants to do this--- that is her choice. Do I commend her dedication thus far? Of course. Do I think it an appropriate location to come and ENCOURAGE others to terrify their children? No. What if someone wanted their child to sleep in their own bed and so told them that there was a...
Quote: Originally Posted by TiredX2 She is encouraging others to try to SCARE their young toddlers away from nursing. THAT is not AP. Scare? Really? Fear? Horror maybe? I see. Yes. This is what is happenning. Not simply making nursing less desirable/palatable. Right, what was I thinking. Better she just tell her 17 month old "no" and then deal with the cries. Yes of course that is more gentle.