or Connect

Posts by johub

Look I cant even get my OWN 13 year old daughter to respond to my parenting style. So as for requests that actually might help other than telling them they are welcome in your home on the condition that they dont threaten your children, I am at a loss.
Quote: Originally Posted by Belleweather their only choice is either to borrow through a market program at high interest rates, assuming they can find someone willing to take them with whatever credit they have, or not to go to school. Or go to a reasonably priced school and work part time. and full time in the summers. Go to community college for the first two years. Get married (being married/divorced makes you exempt from the 23 year old...
Quote: Originally Posted by PrettyBird I think what some parents don't realize when they won't contribute anything is that their income affects the amount of financial aid a child gets. That happened to my highschool boyfriend. His mom got remarried his freshman year and he lost all of his financial aid. But they still wouldn't contribute a dime to his education even though they happily took a deduction for him at tax time. : He tried to become...
Quote: Originally Posted by velochic But if you CAN and you DON'T - I just don't see any normal reason for it. Well I guess "can" is determined differently. Some might think that I could put money aside for my children's college, but it coudl cause financial hardship now for a benefit I am not certain I agree is there. It is just as likely that my child should grow up and not want to go to college or grow up and feel like they have to go to...
Quote: Originally Posted by velochic No, she said, "we believe that responsibility for one's self begins a lot earlier than most..by 18, a kid should have had a paying job for a couple years, and should be capable of self-support, and going to college is something for them to plan for and pay for themselves." "A job for a couple of years already?" That means they are working and going to high school. I did this. It was incredibly hard. As a matter...
No matter how you parent your baby is born with a certain set temperament and some prewired settings. So being AP doesnt create children of certain temperaments and behaviors. However I believe that AP allows children to grow and fluorish in the best way possible for that child. So while not all AP children are ultra sensitive to others, but My bet is that they are MORE sensitive than they woudl have been if they had been treated insensitively. And while some children...
Yogurt is the BEST. I top each of my kids bowl of oatmeal with a dollop of brown cow yogurt and it just is so creamy and delicious.
While chores might not be necessary to know how to take care of yourself when you are older. YOu can learn that on your own when you want to. I strongly believe that chores DO teach personal responsibility and cooperation within a group. I am a mom, not a maid. My kids need to learn to clean up after themselves and help keep their home nice because they live in it. They need to learn that it is not my purpose in life to make everythign uber-easy for them and do...
I put an amount of chopped fruit equal to the amount of rolled oats. I cook 1 cup of oats at a time for four of us. I usually add 1 cup of fruit, diced banana, frozen blueberries,peaches, diced apple. I add the fruit at the same time as the oatmeal so the sweetness cooks in. To add a little more sweetness you can replace some of the water with juice. ( I have done this with apple juice) I also sometimes make cinnamon oatmeal and add 1 TBS of brown sugar. I figure if...
When cleaning my coffee pot I put baking soda in my kitchen drains/garbage disposal. And when the hot vinegar is done I pour it down the drain to clean there too!