or Connect

Posts by johub

Quote: Originally Posted by captain crunchy I still maintain that it is not my job, nor my place to "control" my child...no matter how *nicely* I am controlling her. That is not to say I will never have to do something she doesn't choose to do, or that she will always get what she wants, or that it will always, in every circumstance be a solution she may have chose. Having said that though, I will never believe that my role as a parent is to show my...
Quote: Originally Posted by captain crunchy The very act of her being alive, in our house, was not a choice she made. She didn't choose any of it. She is basically "stuck" with us until she moves out. My goal for her as she grows, to feel as if she had had a choice, she would have chosen us. The act of me bringing her into the world doesn't give me authority over her choices and her body, and her life. Yes, I will happily provide a roof, clothing,...
Quote: Originally Posted by natensarah Hey TinkerBelle, I know exactly where you're coming from here, but would like to suggest another POV. What if, instead, your children grew up feeling that the world is their oyster, and that whatever they wanted to do, they could? And that there are lots of people out there who want to help them do it? My dad has this view of the world, and he has been amazingly successful, and still is going strong at 63 years...
I also wanted to add that having come late to this thread I am disappointed to see the posts from HappyHSer edited. She always has very intelligent as well as respectfully worded things to say and I look forward to reading her POV.
Quote: Originally Posted by MommyMine cc and pat- you are talking logical consequence? I personally use logical consequence as my form of discipline in my home but I have often had a "consequence" painted by others as a "punishment" or in fact "forcing" for example if my son is screaming at me in a nasty way and I enforce him being in a different space from me because I don't choose to be around someone who screams. I do that by putting him in his crib...
WHat has really helped my ds stop throwing food is for me to give him his meal and sit right next to him within arms length and eat also. I keep an eye on him out of the corner of my eye and as soon as he stops eating and starts to lift his plate. I stop him from throwing. I take the plate and set it on the table in front of me and remind him. "No throwing food" and then I ask him if he is still hungry and give the plate back to be eaten, but not thrown. I tell him "you...
Mommyofshmoo, YOu have an excellent point. And often something that did happen once or twice, and was never a pattern of behavior becomes imbedded in memory as if it was the way things were done, instead of really a mistake, a rare accident, a bad day etc. . . My dh remembers periods of his childhood where his mom could barely support him and he ate only brown beans and cornbread, and he has been terrified of poverty his entire life. However his mom was a college...
Is this a new issue or does he always eat like this? If he has only been eating like this for a few days or weeks I woudnt let it trouble you. He is probably loading up for a huge growth spurt. It might be more than an adult serving. But keep in mind his energy level and the fact that he is still growing. Joline
You are probably right. I am so turned off by what others say he has said, or how they interpret it,that I havent been willing to check it out for myself. On the other hand I do have Punished by Rewards and I have read a lot of his articles online and I do think he makes some intelligent and valid points. Joline
Addie's mom, my dh has the week after thanksgiving off and we are planning the same exact thing! It worked for our ds. About the not being able to fall asleep. I had the SAME problem I swear. But like the pp mentioned. Just lying there relaxing is a good start. But here is what really did it for me. It took patience but here is what I would do. If I wanted to take a nap I would set a timer and tell myself that I had to lay on the couch with my eyes closed until...