or Connect

Posts by MamaScout

KathrynH: I have done all of that.  We have a list of things that we have to get through in a day, and he can easily see at a glace what has been done and what needs to be done. I've tried placing some of the responsibility on him, thinking that it might help him to not have me telling him what to do. We also have a set of family rules that he is expected to follow. At this point, I am at a loss as to what to use as a consequence.  I'm aware that he needs to know that...
Well, I'm sorry to say that I don't have much advice for you, but I can offer you hugs and let you know that you are not alone!  My son is 7 and has SPD and also exhibits some ODD symptoms. We homeschool as well and some days are just how you describe them: a full-on battle!   I will second the advice to read "How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen." It is a classic for a good reason. "Siblings Without Rivalry" is also good. I also really love "Simplicity Parenting" by...
Thanks, philomom. Just out of curiosity, do you have other children? Do they attend school or homeschool? My 4yo is absolutely dying to go to school. The example her brother is setting is not making homeschool like like much fun to her.   How did you son adjust to going back to school?
We've been homeschooling for a year now.  My 7 year old son absolutely refuses to participate in anything school-ish.  He throws a fit, screams "no" at me, whines and complains.  When I make it clear that he needs to sit at the table and participate, he glares at me, mutters under his breath, and complains the whole time.  His work takes ten times longer than it should because he complains so much and drags it out.  If I sit with him, I have to endure his complaints and...
Hmmmm...I'm curious about freeschooling, too.  I read the link the pp listed and it's intriguing.  We are mostly unschoolers, and I've never heard the tern "freeschool".    
I don't even know where to begin with this.  My 6 yo son (who is almost 7) has always been spiritied and difficult to communicate with.  But lately he has become so difficult to discipline, I feel like I am losing control of the situation.  Some examples:   He and his (3 yo) sister are playing independently and he just walks up to her an starts messing with her work.  He teases and says mean things to her, which upsets her greatly. When I step in and tell him that he...
I wish I could answer this question for you.  We've only been homeschooling a few months, so take my advice with a grain of salt!  :)   My son is 6 1/2, and went to public school for K and half of 1st grade.  They taught him to read at school and I think he is a very good reader, but I have to really push him through his daily reading practice.  I really surprises me because we read all the time, I have always read to him, and I love to read!!  I require him to read...
Hilarious!
A lively discussion!  I'm subbing, too.    While on the surface, I do like some of the Waldorf philosophy, I agree that Steiner can be "out there" and there is a lot of it that I don't subscribe to.  So I would never say that we are a Waldorf family, and we are only brand-new to homeschooling, so I can't offer much opinion on that!  What I can add is that when it comes to Waldorf, we take what works for us and we leave the rest.  We like: natural toys, no pressure on...
Go check out the blog UncommonGrace.  She has lots of beautiful stuff about advent from a Waldorf perspective.