or Connect

Posts by KimberMama

I often see offers and requests for Enki on the Waldorf-Curriculum Supplies yahoo group. You can expect to sell it for about half what you paid. Every now and then someone will offer out a "hand slap" telling you that resources without instruction guides or live consultation is not what Enki is about. That may be true, but maybe some people just want resources without buying a lifestyle. As far as the "Enki police" go, I do know that people sometimes get "reported" to...
When my boys were younger I didn't like how far it veered from the Waldorf method. For example, they didn't do main lesson blocks and allow recently introduced material a time to sleep. Now that we are going into grade 4 we're going to try OM again. I'm not as concerned about about the difference with traditional Waldorf any longer. I want something loosely planned out and very flexible, with a Waldorf flavor (because we are coming from Christopherus, Enki, and 2 years...
Quote: Originally Posted by skueppers Although, to be fair, I imagine most people's speech patterns have more in common with those of their parents than they do with those of their teachers. And doing a lot of reading is probably more important in learning how to write well than formal instruction. In other words, when people can't speak or spell properly I suspect it has more to do with their home environment than it does with their...
I have a B.A. in English Literature and Composition, with a minor certificate in Feminist Studies. DH has a B.S. in Computer Science with a minor certificate in Mathematics. Wow, don't we sound qualified, LOL! I can't say whether having degrees affected our decision to HS ~ it is just part of who we are. I know people without degrees who are intelligent, love learning, and are more than capable of teaching their children. I know people with degrees who are none of...
Lately we've followed a more natural schooling approach, and before that we did year round allowing ourselves to take off the last week of each month. More and more, though, I see the need for a real break. So we'll finish Friday and will start back the last week of August (following the schedule that our charter school friends follow). The summer will be spent swimming, learning guitar, and doing art projects.
DS#1 (age 10) has read all of the books and really liked them. I'll have to look into this.
What a great idea! I'm not sure when I'll ask for day, but I'll be sure to. First step is organization, then planning.
The Padraic Colum books are fantastic! My boys adored both The Children's Homer and The Golden Fleece.
I have the new Addi Click set and so far it is fabulous. Smallest size is 24" though. You could make the smaller things using Magic Loop.
Well, I think Enki actually introduces academics earlier than Waldorf. Enki grade 1 is definitely aimed at 6YOs and there is plenty of reading instruction in Enki grade 1. Waldorf doesn't usually start reading until age 7. I have seen recommendations from people using Waldorf to guide a child who has an early interest in reading into other activities. That said, we all have a journey within any interest we take up, be that natural family living, a specific...