or Connect

Posts by JenniferH

To be truly authentic, one would have to hunt with a spear (many of the animals they hunted are now extinct, btw), gather your own plants and berries and eat a lot of rendered fat. Oh, and after you kill those animals, you would have to slaughter them, cook over a fire, and make use of all the leftovers, just as they did. In addition to that, you would also have to starve during times when food is not so plentiful. No running to the grocery store. Don't forget about lack...
I always thought of yuppies as being from one specific generation (born in the 60s') who came of age in the 80's and got high paying corporate jobs by selling their soul to the almighty dollar. They were a part of driving the cultural and fashion voids that were pervasive in the 80's. They were also the first generation of conspicuous consumers of the 20th Century when the first high-tech home entertainment systems and personal electronic gadgets (computers, Walkman,...
Some of mine will be going for a professional wardrobe boost (in in the market for a job), dental work, and the rest for savings. I'm trying to move by June, so any money I can possibly save is going in my moving fund.
Quote: Originally Posted by liberal_chick Well, if you end up still needing a place in May/June, LMK. We own a house in NLR that we are currently renting out and I don't know if the current renters will want to do another year lease or not. (And we're fine with pets. ) It may be then before I can move. I'll PM you.
I guess it depends on the size of your family. A house can be "too big" or "too small" if there's not enough room for everyone who lives there, or a lot of wasted space and empty rooms. It's all relative to me. For instance, I see no reason for an empty nest couple to build a sprawling McMansion for the sheer sake of having a big house. If I lived alone, the house I'm in now would be too big. As a single person with no roommates or children, there would be no...
I haven't even looked into day care in LR, because quite frankly, I don't want my DD going to one at her age. I probably can't afford it either. I'm looking for strictly a part-time, after-school caregiver that would come to my house. There might also be some part time weekend work when the BF and I go out. I would also be interested in a child care swapping arrangement if it could be worked out. If you know anyone who is interested, or can recommend...
Quote: Originally Posted by JesiLynne I Figured out why! and it makes me mad. The company DH was working for was being dishonest to the IRS, claiming DH has a subcontractor when he was really doing the work of an employee. The IRS came in after we had gotten the return and saw what was going on and said company could not do that. That is why we owe the money back. I plan on calling here in the next week or so, everything is so up in the air...
My parents ended up owing a lot one time, and mom wrote in and asked for a settlement. It was a lot less than they actually owed, and they were able to pay it off pretty quickly. Owing the IRS is not something you want to do. You can do a voluntary wage attachment, where they take say $50 a week out of your check. Being in payroll, I see people do it all the time. Don't wait until they levy you because they can take a sizeable chunk of your disposable income, sieze...
Quote: Originally Posted by sewingmama Question: An acquaintance who is an accountant once told me that the maximum number of exemptions you can put on your W-4 is 9, and any more sends red flags to the IRS. So we have 9 exemptions on DH's paychecks, and we're still getting a pretty big federal refund (our state has a flat rate tax, so no refund there, but we don't owe either). We have two married adults, only one job, and three kids who qualify for the...
Quote: Originally Posted by dawningmama I have heard wonderful things about sock dreams. You beat me to it! I covet about half the socks on that site. :