or Connect

Posts by liliesandliars

I was having a discussion w/ a friend today about FGM vs. MGM. The other person was saying that the number of nerve endings in the foreskin (20,000) vs. the number of nerve endings in the clitoris (8,000) cannot be used as a reason for why male circ is as bad or worse than a female circumcision. She said because the clitoris is so much smaller in area than the foreskin is, then those 8,000 nerve endings are going to be much more concentrated than the 20,000 nerve endings...
I don't remember ever receiving any pressure from doctors - mine or my son's - to circ. The only pressure I ever got was from my family members and acquaintances. I live in Houston, Texas, if that makes any difference. My son spent some time in the NICU after birth. After a fresh wave of horror stories from my family, I asked the NICU doctor what he thought about circ. He cocked his eyebrow at me and said, "Why? Don't worry about that. He doesn't need it." And...
^^^ Not likely. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a copy and paste response they send to any reader who corrects an article. The fact of the matter is, the magazine is going to make more money by telling the mainstream parents that their parenting decisions are right ones. They still outnumber AP'ers by probably quite a lot, so they would make up the majority of the magazine's clientele. And what kind of customer wants to keep buying a magazine that advises against...
I didn't see it as all that negative. I just thought it was kind of funny. Kumar was trying to rile Harold up... and guys in Europe are going to be uncircumcised, most likely. I saw it as simply as that. Anyway, this isn't a movie that I would take seriously in either light.
I'm in Houston, Texas. I don't know what the laws are around here, either.
Quote: Originally Posted by LoveChild421 Money problems or not...I wouldn't give that couple a darn thing. Why would I give people I don't like gifts? LOL. You know, when it comes down to it, I think it's about as simple as that. I don't know why anybody is trying to judge you for it. More likely than not, the people who said you were being petty would avoid giving gifts to someone they don't like, also. This is no different, and it's not...
I'm in a similar situation. My son's father and I are not married, and we're on decent terms with each other. But it galls him to know that his son is not circumcised. He thinks I've condemned our son to a lifetime of ridicule from friends and potential lovers. Right now he's on active duty with the Marines and I have full custody of our son, so he has no legal ability to haul off our son and get part of his penis cut off without my consent... for the time...
Where sparknotes got the castration/fgm idea from is probably from the quote I mentioned. It seems like a less controversial way of interpreting it, despite the fact that the other quote I mentioned dispels the idea that mgm is not also included in the criticism. Not to mention the fact that "intercision" is a very similar word to "circumcision." I hadn't known that His Dark Materials was written in response to the Chronicles of Narnia. Did Phillip Pullman himself...
A lot of the time I feel that it doesn't even matter what I say, how much it makes sense, etc., unless the person I'm speaking to doesn't already have an open mind (or come from another country). I started a thread once ranting about what my coworkers/family said about my intact son. I mentioned there that I'm not an intactivist, because in my mind, an intactivist is someone who actively tries to turn people's minds against circumcision, and I don't do that, beyond...
I have to agree with the others. That was sick. I have a hard time believing that a mother would really say that... that because she was cut in order to give birth, the baby has to be cut so that they're... what...? Even? Like I said, sick.