or Connect

Posts by Liz

Quote: Originally Posted by Blue Tulip Thank you all very much for your replies, I appreciate them. I spoke with his teacher, and she told me it is an on-going problem with a few of the boys in the class. She has the parents of those boys involved, and she has also started holding weekly class meetings about being kinder to one another. She also told me that if this group of boys continues to have problems, the principal will be...
Talk to the teacher about it. That should always be your first step.
Quote: Originally Posted by AuntNi My question is: how long would you wait before you followed up again with the teacher? I don't have e-mail access to our teachers (I wish I did!) but I would give her more than a day to respond. Our teachers have very little time without the kids around so I would think she might only get to her e-mail once a week?
Quote: Originally Posted by eilonwy Do parents who send their kids to private schools necessarily care more about their educations than parents who send their kids to public schools? Not remotely. Not even *close*. I knew an awful lot of kids who went to private schools simply because their parents made an obscene amount of money and felt that it was expected of them. It's sort of a "social zoning" phenomenon; You live in neighborhood A, you send your...
Quote: Originally Posted by kmeyrick I'm a public school teacher, and let me give you an insider's view. When I have kids, I will home school or send my kids to private school. Why? Are teachers bad and underqualified? Not a bit- they are usually great. But the caliber of society in a public school may not be. Many parents use public school as a glorified day care, and their children's poor behavior influences the other kids and diverts teacher attention...
We do two in the winter and one in the summer. I like to leave time in the summer for as many "one off" activities as possible like concerts, festivals, etc. We try to do swimming all year round with a second activity of his choice in the winter. He will always pick an athletic activity so I have to sneak in the music and art in our "one off" activities
I've seen it done both ways, it will probably largely depend on how the nanny you find wants to do it. If they have other jobs (night time babysitting, cleaning, etc.) they may want to do it freelance so they can write off expenses. I would concentrate on finding the right person then set it up the way they feel most comfortable. You really want this situation to work out and with so many participants (you, your baby, other mom, her baby, nanny) chances are there will...
There are French Immersion public schools in Canada because French is our second official language. I didn't send my son to one because: 1. a second language is not that important to me - if he's into it he can do it later 2. some kids don't do well in immersion and it's difficult to predict how your child will adapt going in 3. if your child doesn't do well they will be behind when you switch them back to the English stream 4. French immersion schools are less...
My son's school is very diverse. I don't know the exact numbers but his class is a pretty even mix of white, Korean, Chinese, Portuguese, Muslim (I'm sorry, I don't know which country the family is from), and Italian. I think my son is one of only 4 kids who speak only English at home. But then, according to local hype, Toronto is the most ethnically diverse city in the world. I love it!
Also ask how he compares to the boys in his class.