or Connect

Posts by Storm Bride

I don't think anything can make a cesarean "natural", but I found being able to breastfeed dd2 in OR changed the expeience a lot. I didn't have to hold her - dh and the L&D nurse did that. (I don't know if it works the same way in all hospitals, but the procedure for scheduled c/s at my local one is to have the mom-to-be check into L&D, where a drip is started, paperwork filled out, IV placed, etc. The nurse who attends on the L&D ward then accompanies the woman into...
Setting up the tent at multiple campsites (we usually stayed either one night or two, before hitting the road again). Seeing various forms of wildlife along the road, or in the campsite (although the time it was a bear in the campsite was a little unnerving). Exploring tide pools. Helping with haying on the farm of some family friends. Playing in the yard - watching bugs, studying snails, slugs, etc., swinging on the swingset, playing in the...
Portion sizes are a huge part of it. I've been trying to be more conscious of how much we eat, and it's amazing how big the servings are. I know someone who cooks two pounds of meat for dinner, for a family of five, and they eat it all. We eat a lot less than that, and I think it's still too much. Other parts of the meal are similarly lopsided. I honestly don't think it matters if my "one serving" of undressed field greens is three cups (even thought that's not one...
  You're coming here?
I have to agree with this, too. We did do a few days at Long Beach (Vancouver Island, not the other one) years ago, and had a fabulous time. But, we only spent one afternoon, and part of another one, at the beach itself. We had to walk through a short length of old-growth rainforest to get there, which was cool. We did another walk/hike (hard walk, super easy hike) along a rocky, wild coastal trail that was beyond cool. We spent part of a day in each of the two local...
I always wanted four, and I know I'm done at four living children. But...if I'd been younger when I had my last, and if my reproductive history hadn't been riddled with so many issues, and if dh were onboard...I think I'd have gone for two more. I'm too old, too tired, and my last pregancy (a pregnancy after loss) was much too emotionally difficult, plus I've had five c-sections, so it was time to call it quits.
  I've received really good advice about diet from obese people, and really appalling advice about diet from skinny people (and bad advice from obese people, good advice from skinny people, etc.). What someone weighs - or even what they eat - isn't a good indicator of what they know about food.
Mountains. I don't like the beach for very long, and certainly wouldn't want to spend a whole vacation there. Once I've walked along it in the evening once or twice, and gone out to look at tide pools, I'm done. Lying around on the beach in the sun is boring, and the sun makes me feel icky and sometimes gives me a headache. If it's a "nice" beach, I also end up covered with sand.   The mountains have trees.
I've actually seen this happen. I know a kid who always asks for third, fourth, and sometimes fifth, slices of bread (just as an example). His family eats plain white bread. When eating a whole wheat/multigrain bread, he stopped at two (a sandwich) and had no interest in any more. While I don't think multigrain bread is the most nutrient dense food available, it's definitely more so than white bread packed with corn syrup, yk? I saw him do the same thing with a lot of...
Blaming obesity on food stamps is illogical. A hundred years ago, people didn't have the option of buying boxed meals, sodas, etc., because they weren't available to purchase. So, they bought beans, oatmeal, etc. The processed, boxed, packaged food has become very, very cheap (and convenient), so people buy it. Food stamps aren't the issue. Cheap, crappy food is the issue. (Well, I think there are multiple issues, but that's one of them - a big one.)