or Connect

Posts by Storm Bride

I think it's outdated and/or regional. People just don't talk that way around here, and it would sound excessively formal. DH used to say "ma'am" to servers in restaurants and such (he's from TN), and it actually made me feel vaguely uncomfortable. Some of the servers - mostly in the hotel based restaurants - took it without a second thought, but I did see the occasional one give him an odd look.   I'm not really a big fan of the "children as inferiors" school of...
  I have to agree. The only major lifestyle/activity difference I've noticed from my teens (I'm 45) is that there are more kids sitting around playing videogames...but those same kids are also watching less tv, in many cases. (I watched tv for 2-3 hours every night when I was in my early teens. DS1 watches very little tv, but does play videogames.) I also see fewer kids walking to school than when I was a kid...but I'd say I see as many adults walking around as I did...
  I've heard this from a fairly large number of people over the years, mostly in the business world. I know we had an employee at one firm I worked for, who was hired straight out of university. He got hired at a salary of about $10K more than I was making (after about 12 years of related experience). He performed one task over and over and I commented to my manager (who had both a degree and years of experience) that I had to admit that I had no idea how to do the work...
No. I was into that stuff as a kid, and even took shop in high school (very rare in my area at that time)...but I get easily freaked out about any task that I don't already know how to handle. I have done a few little things here and there, and I'm not afraid of a hammer or a wrench, but I tend to leave that stuff for dh, because he doesn't panic. (This also applies to other skills - I have an empty garden box right now, and a batch of yarn for learning to crochet that I...
  My dad was a furniture mover. My mom was a waitress (and single mom) when they met, and then a stay-at-home mom for quite a few years. By the time I was 18, they owned three properties. Even after a separation (where my mom had to buy my dad out), mom held on to two of them. She did, admittedly, get a degree when I was in my late teens, but she started out entry level (and nearly 40, in the mid-80s) and wasn't making a huge amount of money, yk? They bought the third...
I don't push one way or the other. I have no idea what life path will be the right ones for my kids. DS1 has one year left of his college program, which is Acting for Stage and Screen. There's a small part of me that feels as though I should have pushed him into learning something "practical", but...this is what he wants. He's been a performer since he was a toddler, has talent, and a huge passion for his craft. I have no desire to be an obstacle to that.   I have...
Mostly, yes. I don't deal well with the ones who are sneaky, especially when they're always trying to get other kids in trouble. I just can't handle that behaviour, even from kids. I'm not sure I'd say I dislike those kids, but I don't really enjoy being around them very much.   I didn't care one way or the other about kids before I had my first one, but I really like them since then.
I thought it was hilarious, but my friend (who was in charge of the whole project) wasn't quite as amused - at the time.