or Connect

Posts by Hokulele

I'd enroll my child.  It sounds like the system at his new school is exactly what he needs.  I'd make sure you have a full change of clothes there every day just in case there is an accident.  But most kids have an accident here and there, so that's normal. 
At this point, I should be a pro at this.  My DDs are almost 7 and almost 4.  That means I've had almost FOUR years to figure out how to juggle my time / emotional energy with them.  But I think I am an epic FAIL at this and I want to know how you other mamas do this.    1. How do you give just one attention when the other is around?  When 7yo has homework, 4yo quickly becomes bored.  She's normally my child who can play by herself but if her sister's homework lasts...
Thanks for the response.  Yes, there are reasons for her change in behavior.  Some are physical ones - she lost a lot of her teeth all at once. (No signs of early puberty or anything).   However, the other changes in her life are hugely important: we recently had a big move and we have more changes on the horizon.  I realize that these things put a lot of pressure on her but they are unavoidable.  I'm just at a loss on how to help her.  We discuss the changes and she...
DD will be turning seven soon and we've had a lot of upheaval recently.  She's started to have multiple tantrums on a daily basis.  DH and I are at the end of our ropes on this and we don't know how to handle it at all.     I don't even know where to start with how to describe it.  DD will suddenly fly off the handle about some little thing.  "Time to come to dinner" or "no you may not watch TV right now"...  Basically anything that we ask of her that is unexpected...
Are you sure you're not talking about my DD?  She's 6.5 and her reason for being is to argue with me.  Every.single.thing. we do has to be negotiated.  I have gotten to the point when I dread doing crafts with her because she wants to re-design the process and re-invent whatever it is we're making.  (To a certain extent I'm sure that's good, but I just wish she could do *one* thing I say, especially when it means a pretty end-product rather than a big mess).     Even...
DD is 6.5 years old.  She's a high-spirited, high-energy, smart little girl.  She has always always needed to have someone to bounce her energy off.  She finds it unbearable to be alone.  When I try to accomplish anything, from making dinner to talking on the phone for 5 minutes she _cannot_ let me just get the task done.  I never talk on the phone unless DH is home because I find it simply too frustrating to try to carry on a conversation.  (I'm not even talking about...
*sigh*   I LOVE Downton Abbey!   I'd read an article about it over Christmas and tried to watch it when it came on here in the USA, but kept missing epsiodes.  However, last week I found it on Netflix - instant play even!  I think it must be the UK version on Netflix because it is 7 episodes about 50 minutes each.    So I stayed up late late a couple nights watching it... I just couldn't turn it off.  I love all the characters, and the cinematography and the...
I have had a cough for AGES!  I don't feel sick (except maybe physically tired from coughing) and I do think it is slowly, slowly getting better.  But a lot of people around me have recently been diagnosed with pneumonia.  I don't think I have that (because I don't feel sick) but I do want to get rid of my cough pronto. It isn't the cough itself that bothers me, it is the idea of all that mucous in my lungs.  So I'm not sure that something like honey would help?  I...
All great advice.  I'm going to pay serious attention to whether this is happening at certain times during my cycle.  And there is a good chance DD's molars are coming in.   And yes!  I should be more specific with her about what it is that doesn't feel good.  I've told her, but somewhat vaguely.  I know!  It seems obvious that I should have been more specific, doesn't it?  It is just that when she starts sucking that way I loose my brain somewhere!   Thank you!!
Help!  DD (2.5 yo) has started doing this weird slurping clicking noise when she nurses and it makes my skin crawl.  It gets so bad I have to pop her off and tell her nursing is all done for right now.  I've tried adjusting her latch etc but it doesn't seem to make a difference.   When her older sister was this age, nursing made my skin crawl.  But back then I thought it was because I was also pregnant.  But now I'm starting to wonder - does this just happen to some...