or Connect

Posts by dessismama

I pumped until my babies were 2, then I breastfed one of them for an extra year, and the other one for extra two in the morning and night.   It is doable and I miss these days...
Thank you all for your encouraging words! I agree with FisherFamily! This board is wonderful because people here understand and do not judge! :)
Brag video link of DS, recorded last week, age 14 going on 57: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPIzm88mYeQ
Congratulations!! Very impressive...:) My 14 yo DS plays chess every chance he gets (which is not much these days due to his musical pursuits) and he loves it dearly, but he finds it stressful... could your six-year old be feeling the pressure to do well and win all the time? Or it could just be developmental--my DD was super emotional at that age. Hugs to you! DD(12 next month) is obsessed with singing pop songs. She is starting to compose her own too! We will see where...
I also cannot top Moominmomma's response.Great to hear you went with Suzuki! My children have never been as motivated as your daughter, so keep it up!   My now 14 year old started cello at 3 and four months--I thought I would challenge him tremendously... (joke was on me, since he took off in his musical ability but hated practicing until he turned 10..). He finished the first Suzuki book by the time he was 4.5 and at 9 was done with all 9 books, and playing full...
DS(14) switched cello teachers and is practicing more and better. His technique and intonation are both improving, and he is learning a lot of new repertoire. He performed the entire 4 cello suite after 3 weeks of working on it. School-wise, things are going well for him too--he is taking a third year course in Spanish on culture and history of Latin America, and a philosophy and film course at the state university, in addition to the typical high school courses through...
Yes, it was WIAT. I am still upset since I spent a lot of money on the testing and they did the short version of WISC/WIAT and he scored at 140 for overall IQ, with significant scatter among different sub-tests. He absolutely bombed the task of reproducing a three dimensional shape, for example, while being off the charts in verbal ability. It is very true about the anxiety, it is back full-force, and this is with extra time he gets to do his writing and math at...
My 8 year old is very similar to your child. He gets 100% on all his spelling tests (good memory) but when prompted to spell words he has not studied before falls apart. I had him tested last spring and the psychologist choked all his writing (he cannot stand it and does very poorly at it both in terms of content and execution) issues to anxiety. We managed to get a 504 for anxiety that later a psychiatrist attributed to LD, but I could not believe that the psychologist...
Great to hear both of your children are doing so well! You are lucky there are gifted resources where you are. I have had to supplement and ultimately turn to homeshooling with one of my children...   My now 14 year old was comparable to your older son as a toddle, and now is thriving in college courses. His cognitive abilities seem more incredible at this point as compared to his peers than when he was a toddler. And the biggest surprise, I have heard the "genuis"...
My son has had a similar experience in French, the professor asked everyone for his/her age, and everyone was chocked when DS said 13. He acts older and did a small research project on genders in French vs. Spanish, but still...:) Your story made me smile!   Best course so far in this respect was an online health course, where no one knew his age and the professor completed him on his maturity. LOL!