or Connect

Posts by Finch

Hey y'all. I"m looking for a massage therapist for a one time massage in the Durham/CH area. I prefer hot stone massage. $$$ is not really an object. Suggestions?
Congratulations, Kati!! I'm so very happy for you. : :
:: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's awesome!! :
Quote: Originally Posted by chowmein How do you parents understand and deal with which behaviors are part of PDD-NOS and what is just normal kid behavior. Thanks, Ed. Hey Ed. I understand the not knowing what is typical kid stuff and what is autism stuff. It's hard when autism is all you've ever known, and you don't know how to act/react to things because you're constantly trying to sort out if the tantrum being thrown is a normal kid...
He's the same tool who calls GBLT people "sodomites." He's vile. Just absolutely vile. :Puke
Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine233 Actually, no one on this forum believes this... not at all. You might want to read this thread to find out what Autism Acceptance really means: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=926323 Quite right. Specifically, a direct quote from that thread: Quote: Misconception #5: Being pro-acceptance and anti-cure means you don't seek any therapies, treatments or help for your child. The...
Quote: Originally Posted by Momily Funny, I don't usually think of that as a good reason to redirect stimming. If you have a culture in the classroom (at least in the early grades I don't teach past about 3rd) of acceptance the other kids are usually very able to tune out or ignore repetitive stims -- they become like background noise. And if an adult doesn't model acceptance they'll usually challenge that adult (e.g. sub tells child to stop wandering...
Quote: Originally Posted by Momily I've also got kids who flap and jump when I bring something new, and then the next time I bring it in they flap and jump again because they didn't really see it the first time ('cause their hands were in front of their eyes flapping) so it's STILL new), and who would continue to flap and jump indefinitely. In that case I might wait to bring it in until after something intensively sensory, or I might gather them up (if...
I would like to point out that both Dr. Temple Grandin and Dr. Judith Bluestone say that stimming releases endorphins and is actually a calming, self-regulating activity, and that stopping stims can actually be painful for autistic people. Everybody stims, the only difference with autistic stims is that they are not "socially accepted" norms. Stimming is a way of "zoning out." What do YOU do to "zone out" when you are stressed? Think about if you'd had a...
I couldn't read and not post. I'm just going to be blunt and brief here, as it's 4:22 am and my own wakeful baby finally fell asleep.... You sound like me with my first child. His first year was baptism by fire. He had reflux, colic, and was generally a very very VERY high needs, fussy baby. I do not have pleasant memories of his babyhood. It was torture. He woke every hour to hour and a half 24/7 the first 9 months of his life. I remember how I felt, and...