or Connect

Posts by reillys_mom

First, take a deep breath. Many of us have been there (which probably doesn't help), but we have also made it through. I night weaned both boys basically using Dr. Jay's principles, one at about a year and one a little after. They will be mad when they try to nurse and can't. You and DH need to hold firm, explain that there's no nursing at night, wait for the sun, etc. I had/have the same health issues from the lack of sleep and while part of me didn't want to night...
It doesn't tell ou the weight that I can see so it is hard to tell how good a deal it is. Let us know when you get it. I ordered from Peace Fleece, fyi.
Berkeley Bowl is great. Just try to go midday or it can be intense (kind of reminds me of Times Square NYC at times). Otherwise, we go to Monterey Market (both MM and BB are much cheaper than the farmers markets from the same vendors, I'm assuming because they have large procurement contracts), or Natural Grocery -- the El Cerrito one has a meat counter.
Jim Weiss has a magical CD of bedtime stories that are totally appropriate for a younger child. We were given it and it saved us many a time.
I totally understand how you feel. I struggle between being open to how others choose to parent, not wanting to be thought of as the hippy mom (I do livein Berkeley so am pretty middle of the road for here), and tryingto figure out how to inform friends that propping your 4 month old up to try to fee her solids because she played with a shiny spoon might not be right developmentally, etc. I did "slip" in a group of moms whom I'd just met that I couldn't imagine having a...
I'm so sad too. I got the email and couldn't believe it. I thought that maybe they'd close a couple of stores, but leave the Berkeley one. It just shows how important t is for us to buy local and support businesses that mean a lot to us. I don't have as much money as I did , but I'm going to be even more careful where I spend every dollar.
Big Sigh and Hug. I'm a WAHM and know exactly how you feel. I don't seem to be able to do anything well and the worst of it is that I get way too frustrated with my boys. Tomorrow starts daycare for DS2 and DS1 is in preschool part time. I'm hoping that having a focused nanny with lots fo experience and a nanny buddy who is his same age will be better than a frustrated mom who hates trying to keep the house clean, work, and still get a toddler sufficient activity. ...
I have extremely limited success when wet felting. Recently I have tried making beads by starting with a snake and a loose ball of roving. the loose ball method was better, but every one still has folds and some have a bunch so none are smooth. With the snake, the pieces keep coming apart rather than forming into a single snake. I also have tried felting around a ball with the intention of then cutting it open, but the outside never fully felts and there are still...
There is a thread over in the Waldorf education with LOTS of pictures of playrooms. Ours keeps on morphing mostly because we have too many toys. We have a kitchen (both boys Love it), though I would recommend one that can go against a wall vs. the one we ahve that needs to be out in the room. If she's not toddling yet, I'd hold off on it. We also have chairs and a table, too.
I think that not talking about media related things would be encouraged in our school too. In your son's case, his interest in sword fighting isn't the issue. It's the parameters of Star Wars for the play. As a parent of a child who doesn't watch any TV and has watched only a handful of movies it is a bit annoying when he comes home talking about some character or another. We try to just treat Mickey Mouse as a mouse and let his own imagination define the play rather...