or Connect

Posts by reillys_mom

Please, DO NOT buy from Spirit Mountain Yurts. We have a 24' from them -- it was 2 months late (we slept in a tent on the platform while we were waiting), the insulation wasn't cut to match up to our window configuration, the lining wasn't even included in the shipment and took 4 additional months and the threat of small claims court before it arrived, again not even coming close to fitting on our walls and the ceiling, and the dome is cracking after only 2 years. I like...
for DS 2nd birthday we did a loose theme of his favorite things -- balloons od animals and a train cake -- and no activities beyond play areas with different toys. There was the kitchen, train, dollhouse, and barn/animal area. The biggest comments that we got from parents was that having different play areas kept the energy from getting to chaotic and with the food we went with Reilly's favorites -- hummus and dips, meatballs, spinach pockets, etc. So, it was all...
You can also make an alternative with alchohol, glycerin and thyme oil plus an essentional oil to scent as you like. It's pretty easy to find recipes on line.
It looks so beautiful and I'm so impressed with your use of space. I'm envious that your insultation and lining looks so good as ours is all messed up (don't try to go with a cheaper alternative if you're going to buy a yurt). Maybe we will look at a loft once my boys get a bit older. Ours is cold even in the summer and we're in No Ca, though it is on the coast. One place talked about an insulated base that is a few inches thick and that would be nice.
Both of my kids do and DS1 is almost 3.5. Also, I run a summer camp and a lot of those kids (8-17) still wear hats. It's a lot easier to keep a hat on than to make sure they have properly applied enough sunscreen recently. I figure it is like the UV bathing suits, that's all my son knows and associates wearing one with fun just like he does wearing his sun hat.
Last summer DS1, then 2.5 yo, spent hours in the garden. His absolute favorite activity was searching for wormies (or lermies as he pronounced them then). He was good at weeding once the plants were big enough to distinguish between a weed and plant. And harvesting low to the ground vegetables like the bush beans and squash were great bc it saved me bending and though he was slow he loved filling his basket. Having space for them to run around and be kids is important,...
We have found it very difficult to get rid of our wool. We use dto sell it for stuffing in futons, but the transportation and holding costs were more than what we received. Since then I haven't found anyone to take much of it. I have given some to schools, especially Waldorf schools. It has encouraged me to do some more felting, but most of mine gets used for mulch. And, that's with us running a summer camp and doing spinning and felting as art projects. Sorry to not...
Thank you all truly. I've been thinking that maybe ds1 has a chemical imbalance and been fearing how he will be when he's a teenager when this fabulously strong and defiant being gets hormones added tothe equation. Now, I guess I'm reassured that it is "normal". DH and I still aren't sure how we will make it through sometimes, but we will. My grandmother visited and was teh first family member to really see that he isn't always sweet and wonderful. Luckily, she didn't...
I think that it is feasible. You will need help building it, but after that I've found the upkeep pretty easy. Most of the problems that we've had with ours are directly related to the manufacturer not the type of dwelling. I seem to remember when I was looking that there were snow load kits and the addition of a wood burning stove or other heater would probably make it quite cozy. Since I'm in Northern CA, I'm sure there are people who can speak to that point with...
I'm going to be away overnight for the first time and am not sure that I have enough milk pumped. DS2 eats full meals and drinks water so its really more for his comfort. So, would you have rice milk, cow's milk, dilute milk, formula (which he's never had) on hand? I just want to be as prepared as possible so I can relax while I'm away.